Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 6.7 Stand Alone Possible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2014 6.7 Stand Alone Possible?

This is my first post in this forum, so I apologise if I'm in the wrong location. I'll start with explaining what I'm trying to do, and then move on to where I'm having trouble. I figured this would be the best place for info on this subject.

I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 at auction for a steal. The truck itself is totalled so the only thing worth anything is the Cummins engine. The truck will start and run still, and sounds great I might add. So this got me thinking, would it be possible to put this engine in a different truck? The transplant recipient I have in mind is a 96 Chevy 3500 dually with a NV4500 transmission, and a 6.5 turbo diesel. The engine in the Chevy took a dump and the Cummins has just under 100k miles on it. I've read that the 2013+ computers have all kinds of security and are basically useless in a standalone application. I've also read that people have used 5.9 ECMs with a modified 6.7 harness and 5.9 fuel injectors. I've seen very little about this so I'm looking for some insight into what's possible with this engine, swap wise. Is the factory computer really useless? Can the 5.9 computer run this engine? Has a swap like this been done before?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is greatly appreciated.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I can add that 07-09 6.7 Stand Alone is possible. So worst case it shouldn't be that hard to change harness's and computers to the older 6.7 style.

Also curious about the 13+ stand alone though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I can add that 07-09 6.7 Stand Alone is possible. So worst case it shouldn't be that hard to change harness's and computers to the older 6.7 style.

Also curious about the 13+ stand alone though.
    Any chance that you have a link to an example of this being done with the older 6.7? I'd like to get some more info to see how they managed to get it to work. The only other option I see is a lot of modification, and end up with an all mechanical 6.7

Quote Originally Posted by 96GM6.7 View Post
    Any chance that you have a link to an example of this being done with the older 6.7? I'd like to get some more info to see how they managed to get it to work. The only other option I see is a lot of modification, and end up with an all mechanical 6.7
    Sorry for the late reply. I am using this OS#11551031

It's a buddys truck, its a Ford Excursion with a 6.7 Swap with twins. It also has CSP5 that works so its technically this OS#55551031.

I've read that the 2013+ computers have all kinds of security and are basically useless in a standalone application.
    Sorry I missed this post, we've not had someone request theft disable for the 2013+. There may indeed be some issues with the ECM wanting information from other modules on the vehicle.
    I wouldn't like to promise we could even make this run for you, it may indeed be too hard and lots of hours wasted if the solution that others suggested is to use the earlier ECM that can work as standalone.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Sorry I missed this post, we've not had someone request theft disable for the 2013+. There may indeed be some issues with the ECM wanting information from other modules on the vehicle.
    I wouldn't like to promise we could even make this run for you, it may indeed be too hard and lots of hours wasted if the solution that others suggested is to use the earlier ECM that can work as standalone.
    So the older 6.7 ECM will work in a standalone alone application? This makes me wonder what all has been changed in the newer 6.7. If all that is different is the harness and ECM it should be pretty simple to swap those 2 things and get it running. I'm going to do a little more searching and see if I can gather some info on the physical differences of these 2 engines.

So the older 6.7 ECM will work in a standalone alone application?
    BigCE said it was possible in post #2.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I wonder if you could just switch to a Cummins ECM and make it work.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Lifetime Member

I would prefer the CM2200/CMD ecu over a CM2100/CMC ecu though.

May be worth looking into the anti theft logic on these one day Ross as they are getting to be 8+ years old now.

It would have to be done on a trial by elimination on a vehicle, I couldn't attempt to shut theft down by assumption unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast