Quote Originally Posted by 96GM6.7 View Post
This is my first post in this forum, so I apologise if I'm in the wrong location. I'll start with explaining what I'm trying to do, and then move on to where I'm having trouble. I figured this would be the best place for info on this subject.

I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 at auction for a steal. The truck itself is totalled so the only thing worth anything is the Cummins engine. The truck will start and run still, and sounds great I might add. So this got me thinking, would it be possible to put this engine in a different truck? The transplant recipient I have in mind is a 96 Chevy 3500 dually with a NV4500 transmission, and a 6.5 turbo diesel. The engine in the Chevy took a dump and the Cummins has just under 100k miles on it. I've read that the 2013+ computers have all kinds of security and are basically useless in a standalone application. I've also read that people have used 5.9 ECMs with a modified 6.7 harness and 5.9 fuel injectors. I've seen very little about this so I'm looking for some insight into what's possible with this engine, swap wise. Is the factory computer really useless? Can the 5.9 computer run this engine? Has a swap like this been done before?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is greatly appreciated.
It is possible to do a stand alone install. I have a 2013 6.7L in my Ford E350 van (CM2350B ECM). Backed by a 6-speed Allison. Engine and trans "talk" to each other via J1939 for throttle inputs.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the CM2350A because the cruise, A/C and exhaust brake are hard-wired features on that ECM vs. being all CAN bus based on the Chrysler version. I could still do that but I'd have to redo the engine harness. Not now though... it took forever to integrate the first one into the Ford harness and I'm working on a fix for the CAN bus I/O that might work with less effort.

Here's the secret...literally all you need to know... (well...you'll also have to have an expert level knowledge of wiring and automotive electronics of course) Chrysler adds on a bunch of crap to keep the engine from running....take it all away and the Cummins runs just fine. In my "first start" video, I had just a few wires connected to make it fire up.