Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 6.7 Stand Alone Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by 96GM6.7 View Post
    This is my first post in this forum, so I apologise if I'm in the wrong location. I'll start with explaining what I'm trying to do, and then move on to where I'm having trouble. I figured this would be the best place for info on this subject.

I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 at auction for a steal. The truck itself is totalled so the only thing worth anything is the Cummins engine. The truck will start and run still, and sounds great I might add. So this got me thinking, would it be possible to put this engine in a different truck? The transplant recipient I have in mind is a 96 Chevy 3500 dually with a NV4500 transmission, and a 6.5 turbo diesel. The engine in the Chevy took a dump and the Cummins has just under 100k miles on it. I've read that the 2013+ computers have all kinds of security and are basically useless in a standalone application. I've also read that people have used 5.9 ECMs with a modified 6.7 harness and 5.9 fuel injectors. I've seen very little about this so I'm looking for some insight into what's possible with this engine, swap wise. Is the factory computer really useless? Can the 5.9 computer run this engine? Has a swap like this been done before?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is greatly appreciated.
    It is possible to do a stand alone install. I have a 2013 6.7L in my Ford E350 van (CM2350B ECM). Backed by a 6-speed Allison. Engine and trans "talk" to each other via J1939 for throttle inputs.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the CM2350A because the cruise, A/C and exhaust brake are hard-wired features on that ECM vs. being all CAN bus based on the Chrysler version. I could still do that but I'd have to redo the engine harness. Not now though... it took forever to integrate the first one into the Ford harness and I'm working on a fix for the CAN bus I/O that might work with less effort.

Here's the secret...literally all you need to know... (well...you'll also have to have an expert level knowledge of wiring and automotive electronics of course) Chrysler adds on a bunch of crap to keep the engine from running....take it all away and the Cummins runs just fine. In my "first start" video, I had just a few wires connected to make it fire up.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
    This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! I was actually just about to order a painless wiring harness last night along with an 05 ECM as I had given up hope of using the original computer. I've decided I want to keep the factory vgt, and the 68RFE. This would have required separate controllers for each, but if it's possible to unlock the original computer, maybe I can run the trans and vgt with no extra modification. If you could shed some light on your methods MG, where do I start with this?! Ive already got both vehicles in the shop and am ready to tear stuff down.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! I was actually just about to order a painless wiring harness last night along with an 05 ECM as I had given up hope of using the original computer. I've decided I want to keep the factory vgt, and the 68RFE. This would have required separate controllers for each, but if it's possible to unlock the original computer, maybe I can run the trans and vgt with no extra modification. If you could shed some light on your methods MG, where do I start with this?! Ive already got both vehicles in the shop and am ready to tear stuff down.
    Where do you start? You'll need very good wiring diagrams and the ECM connector pinout. Used to be a free web link through Tech Authority to search diagrams by VIN but Chrysler put it behind a pay wall. Might be worth buying a few day subscription and downloading everything you need. You can get the engine running with just a handful of wires. To get the A/C, cruise control and exhaust brake working though, you'll need some sort of CAN bus interface.

I'm running a manual trans file in the ECM because of the Allison. I may have chosen to run a complete RAM drivetrain (Aisin trans) had more information been available when I started....there was literally nothing available online in the beginning of this journey. I think you could have a seamless drivetrain if you choose one of the RAM transmissions. I was fortunately able to get the Allison TCM and the ECM to talk to each other via J1939 for throttle inputs so my set up works fine for me.

I stripped the wiring harness down to just the basic circuits and integrated the whole thing into the Ford van's battery junction box harness (underhood relay and power distribution block). Just the basics...no circuit boards, just relays and fuses. All the Chrysler stuff (TIPM, BCM, etc...) are not needed at all.

Here's the engine harness (C2 connector) before I wrapped it. Not much to it. BTW... Yazaki connectors used throughout the harness. A few online sources for the terminals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150101_113201 (568x800).jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	22403

I try to post answers to your questions but need a moderator to approve my posts

Posts approved.
    Someone suggested buying a Tech Authority day pass to get all the data, I would also recommend that. It is only about $30 for the day but the wiring diagrams and tech data they have is the best in the business. Dodge/Chrysler have done an excellent job in this regard.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I have downloaded a massive amount of diagrams from the tech authority website. I should have another day or so left on my account. Anything that I for sure need to make sure I have? I've got the pin outs for both ECM connectors already. Anything else that's super important to have?

Edit:as a side note, I will be off Wednesday and Thursday and plan on taking the engine and trans out of the ram. Any tips on things to remove or stuff to look for while I'm at this?
    Last edited by 96GM6.7; September 17th, 2018 at 05:18 PM.

I have downloaded a massive amount of diagrams from the tech authority website. I should have another day or so left on my account. Anything that I for sure need to make sure I have? I've got the pin outs for both ECM connectors already. Anything else that's super important to have?

Edit:as a side note, I will be off Wednesday and Thursday and plan on taking the engine and trans out of the ram. Any tips on things to remove or stuff to look for while I'm at this?
    Try to keep the A/C lines and all the wiring in tact. Same with power steering/hydroboost lines. All that stuff comes in handy when you're trying to make things work in the new vehicle. If the radiator and intercooler are still good, try to reuse those. I spent sooooo much time fitting a custom radiator and modifying an intercooler to fit in the van.

I'm assuming you know how relays work. Carefully review each 12V+ source and each ground. The load side of the relays are pretty self explanatory for things like the starter, grid heater (if you retain that), A/C clutch, etc.... The coil side of the relay takes the thinkin'. A lot...not all...but a lot of the circuits in a RAM truck have a fused 12V+ source wired to a relay then to the BCM or some other module. The BCM is essentially the ground side of the relay but because it is a microcontroller, some logic condition must be met before the circuit completes the ground. Think of all the circuits in terms of the fundamentals and it will start to make sense.

Thanks again MG. You've given me tons of confidence in this project. I did look at everything I downloaded, and it all made sense for the most part. I could see how things on the engine circuits could be integrated to the body on most of it. Only thing that I didn't exactly know how to get working is bus communications in things like cruise control and A/C. Considering the new vehicle doesn't have any sort of a bus system (to my knowledge) I'm unsure how I'll get this sorted. I'll get to work on disassembly and ask more questions as I come across sure problems. I was wondering, should I try to get the engine running on a stand, or wait until it's in the vehicle to start it?

Thanks again MG. You've given me tons of confidence in this project. I did look at everything I downloaded, and it all made sense for the most part. I could see how things on the engine circuits could be integrated to the body on most of it. Only thing that I didn't exactly know how to get working is bus communications in things like cruise control and A/C. Considering the new vehicle doesn't have any sort of a bus system (to my knowledge) I'm unsure how I'll get this sorted. I'll get to work on disassembly and ask more questions as I come across sure problems. I was wondering, should I try to get the engine running on a stand, or wait until it's in the vehicle to start it?
    I planned to run on a stand but then again the body of the van was off the frame and I could just put the drivetrain in and get it running that way. I do recommend trying to start it with a stripped down harness before you do too much work. You can send me an email through mgmetalworks website if you want to contact me directly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast