Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: please help...

Ok a lot to think about now! Ok so ill answer your questions...

A. I believe the WB is working as it should. Its wired directly to switched Ign through a relay. Right now the sensor (lsu4.9) is in the passenger side exhaust about 1 ft after the collector and about 8" b4 the x pipe. 11 o clock.

B... i set the values in b3618 in thinking thatsbwhat i wanted to command in OL. I see now after reading that i do not want to do that.
    B3616 i disabled pe and my thinking was just to command richer as morebload was placed on engine?

C... IFR us set from the data from the "GTP 36lb injector" spreadsheet. I copied all the info over to my file. I have the FAST 36 lb'ers, same as bosch 36lb'ers; flow 42 at ls1 fuel pressure.
    Pressure at the rail is a dead on balls 58 psi.

D... good catch on the heat soak. I have to take a look. My CAI is at most just to get by for now as its a compromise because i have really limited space up front between the radiator and engine. Its touching upper rad hose so i definitely assumed i would get heat soak for sure. Something i have to figure out.

Ill fix PE as per your recommendation. Do I set the whole table (b3618) to 1.175 EQ? Is that 12.45AFR?

Im my area all gas has ethanol (up to 10%). Theres summer blends and winter blends. Im running 93 octane.

I have an Innovate LM2 single channel. Im logging using the serial comms.

In closed loop my 02's are in working order. I have longtubes and set the switchpoint(b4105) to 450ms.

Im thinking of getting rid on the MAF and using COS3 soon. I can ignore the NB o2's as i can have my WB in full time.

Joecar what are you seeing thats telling you theres a prob with the wb? I noticed an AFR of 40ish somewhere in the log? Im wondering if a connector possibly loosened up for a split second and it read messed up? Those Molex connectors frustrate me! I dont like Molex style...

EOPS i already turned it on in g1207 and i wired it to pcm as per your directions you gave me a few months ago... not sure why it wasnt logging? Ill check my wiring..

Thanks Joecar!
    Last edited by Jayyk31; July 15th, 2018 at 07:50 AM.

Wideband output is not as definitive as I'd like to see (over some number of frames it should show a trend instead of wondering around)...

you might need to test it (there's a youtube video showing how);

if you could run closed loop, then wideband output will hover around stoich.

Im going to transfer the sensor from the passenger side to the driver side. Well see what happens. Also ill take a look on youtube for a how to video.

Engine is still bogging (breaking up) when i get on the throttle. Whats the pid to log the CKP sensor signal? I know when i built the engine i got the reluctor runout under the min spec. Reluctor is welded as well

Heres 1 video I found...
    https://youtu.be/I1rSlp5jONo
    Last edited by Jayyk31; July 15th, 2018 at 09:43 PM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayyk31 View Post
    Im my area all gas has ethanol (up to 10%). Theres summer blends and winter blends. Im running 93 octane.
    Im thinking of getting rid on the MAF and using COS3 soon. I can ignore the NB o2's as i can have my WB in full time.
    I haven't contributed to this thread until now because joecar has been giving you good guidance, but I'd like to give you my view on where you're at now. The engine specs you posted in your original post are not good specs for a street driven vehicle. It's not going to be an easy engine to tune. I personally prefer running closed loop where possible (especially in areas where ethanol blending is mandatory), but it may be very challenging with your build. If you have to run open loop, then run it a bit on the rich side to ensure good fueling with changing ethanol content. People have differing opinions on the MAF... personally, I think that the MAF sensor is one of the best things that GM ever put into their vehicles. Don't be in too much of a hurry to remove that sensor... in some circumstances, it can be used as a diagnostic tool.

Finally... I think that your cam is too big for street use. I think that your compression is too high for your cam. I think that you're going to have some bucking at cruising speeds and I think you're going to have hours of fun trying to tune this beast. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    I haven't contributed to this thread until now because joecar has been giving you good guidance, but I'd like to give you my view on where you're at now. The engine specs you posted in your original post are not good specs for a street driven vehicle. It's not going to be an easy engine to tune. I personally prefer running closed loop where possible (especially in areas where ethanol blending is mandatory), but it may be very challenging with your build. If you have to run open loop, then run it a bit on the rich side to ensure good fueling with changing ethanol content. People have differing opinions on the MAF... personally, I think that the MAF sensor is one of the best things that GM ever put into their vehicles. Don't be in too much of a hurry to remove that sensor... in some circumstances, it can be used as a diagnostic tool.

Finally... I think that your cam is too big for street use. I think that your compression is too high for your cam. I think that you're going to have some bucking at cruising speeds and I think you're going to have hours of fun trying to tune this beast. Enjoy!
    Thanks for chiming in man i really appreciate it. Yeah I built this engine from the ground up myself. The heads, cam, valvetrain, induction basically Tony Mamo put together for me. He warned me about the driveability issues of the cam so i definately ecpected the challenges openly. It actually drives damn good right now considering i am working on a tune and i.am barely a novice free time gear head! Besides the engine breaking up with hard accelleration i have no bucking issues whatsoever and honestly it kind of drives ok for now. Hopefully with a little help from you guys I can get her dialed in. I dedinately have a lot of work to do on the tune for sure. Im gonna get it on the dyno sometime in the near future. Im pretty sure the Compression is pretty spot on for 93 octane. Its came a long way from starting it on the stand to now. Joecar has been a tremendous help for sure!

Lifetime Member

It actually drives damn good right now considering i am working on a tune and i.am barely a novice free time gear head! Besides the engine breaking up with hard accelleration i have no bucking issues whatsoever and honestly it kind of drives ok for now. Hopefully with a little help from you guys I can get her dialed in.
    You have no bucking issues yet because you're running the engine rich. Learn to tune in Lambda... fueling doesn't come out right when you're tuning a corn blend in AFR.

Here's a little help from me. Use this as your new base tune.

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Manual LS1 5.7 Litre (PCM 12202088) OLSD ve Tuning NEW BASE.ctz

There's a youtube video showing covering LSU sensor with rag sprayed in brake cleaner, sensor registers rich (brake cleaner fumes displace air/oxygen), then rag is removed, sensor registers lean.

Check that your wideband shows this behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    You have no bucking issues yet because you're running the engine rich. Learn to tune in Lambda... fueling doesn't come out right when you're tuning a corn blend in AFR.

Here's a little help from me. Use this as your new base tune.

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Manual LS1 5.7 Litre (PCM 12202088) OLSD ve Tuning NEW BASE.ctz
    Thanks a lot for taking the time bro! Im gonna take a look and start with your "new base" tune you posted...

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    There's a youtube video showing covering LSU sensor with rag sprayed in brake cleaner, sensor registers rich (brake cleaner fumes displace air/oxygen), then rag is removed, sensor registers lean.

Check that your wideband shows this behaviour.

Ill report back later tonight after i do this test. Thanks Joecar.

As im home just looking ovwr stuff I notice on one of my rescent logs that ...

In scanner frame #2665.
    Tps= 58.8%
    RPM= 2541
    MAP= 99 kpa
    [VE is 58.94]- to me this would explain the bogging and popping as its way lean, no? Part of it at least?

Now when i go into the editor and go to B0101 it shows itsbpulling from cell
    Rpm= 2400
    MAP= 15kpa

Not sure what to make of that but doesn't look correct. Pcm was commanding a solid 12.84 AFR. (I will be switching to lambda from now on to tune). Something isnt right here.

Edit...
    Matter of fact the more logs i look at to compare scan with editor the b0101 table, the pcm never pulls anyrhing info from any other column except the 15kpa colomn. RPM moves in sync with the scanner but KPA stays in the 1st column no matter what. Hmmm. I wonder if i have a junk MAP sensor?
    Last edited by Jayyk31; July 17th, 2018 at 12:17 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast