Thread: 2005 Silverado AutoCal new install---error message 0281!

Default 2005 Silverado AutoCal new install---error message 0281!

Good afternoon. I'm new to the forum and also new to tuning. I just completed a nice-looking installation of EFI Live DSP5 switch that I purchased from Longhorn Fab Shop. I thought that the install was going to be the hardest part, but I thought wrong! I already typed this message once, but for some reason it didn't post. So here's take 2:

Followed all procedures listed on instruction sheet for LLY. Also of note, it is a 6-speed manual with Gear Vendors under/overdrive unit I installed years ago; also aftermarket radio.

1. Pulled TBC BATT, RADIO, INFO, RADIO AMP, and TBC IGN (however, in this truck it's labelled TBC IGN 1. Inside the cab fuse box, there's one called TBC IGN 0. I pulled both of them. There are others labelled TBC, but not the ones specified, so I didn't pull them).
    2. Plugged in AutoCal, turned on ign, then went to READ for E60 (LLY). Hit OK. says it's reading, then 1 second later shoots out code $0281. I hit OK, then it says turn ignition off. I hit OK then it says wait 15 seconds. This occurs each time, and I can't seem to get past this step. I even pulled the fuse for the Gear Vendors control unit and RADIO is already pulled so no aftermarket stuff is on grid.
    3. Was discouraged so gave up last night. Brought AutoCal in and plugged it into computer and updated firmware and software to V8. Was hoping that would solve it.
    4. Today, retried the process with the new update--no change. Still same error at same time.

Any suggestions for me? I tried reaching out to Longhorn 8 times yesterday, no answer. Emailed twice, no responses. Called today, but tuner guy wasn't in. Getting a little perturbed. Could use any help I can get, and thanks in advance! Seems like a nice forum here.

-Bob

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

What firmware version did you update to?
    Firmware V2.07.132 contains updates that affect the reading/flashing for LLY controllers. So make sure your firmware is V2.07.132 or later.

Error $0281 means: the vehicle to which AutoCal is connected is not responding to messages sent to it by AutoCal. That can occur for a number of reasons:

1. The ignition is not switched to the "run" position.
    2. The ECM (Engine Control Module) fuse is blown or the ECM is non-operational - in that case the vehicle would not start/run either.
    3. AutoCal may be faulty - try it on a different vehicle if it fails on that vehicle also then the AutoCal (or the cable) may be faulty. If it works OK on a second vehicle then there is probably something wrong with the first vehicle.

If none of those things help, please see how to report a technical support case here: https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...7778-QEKN-0400

Is it possible you pulled a fuse that powers the ECM itself? Have you tried reading the LLY controller without pulling any fuses?

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I did try without pulling any fuses, yes. And it started working. Then the dash and the radio went haywire. Maybe if I just pull radio and the dash stuff it will work. Also of note, I plugged my OBDII diagnostic reader in just to see if it would work, and it couldn’t read the ECM with those fuses pulled. Once I plugged fuses back in, it read them fine. Truck starts and runs normally so I don’t think any issue with ECM.

Fixed the issue! Turns out RADIO fuse needed to be in. That was the only way I could get my OBDII scanner to work. So I pulled all the other fuses except radio and disconnected the actual radio and it worked great. All flashed.

Second point—got a hold of longhorn fab shop. They aren’t doing EFI live anymore. Shut down by EPA. ridiculous. Guy that did all the tuning was out of town

Quick question—can’t seem to remember what tunes were in what position, and what their functions were. I never received an actual list of them. Is there any way to figure that out? I left a message with longhorn but haven’t heard back yet.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by art1339 View Post
    Quick question—can’t seem to remember what tunes were in what position, and what their functions were. I never received an actual list of them. Is there any way to figure that out? I left a message with longhorn but haven’t heard back yet.
    Only Longhorn could tell you that information.
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.