Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Start over,

Finally was able to pull the valve cover off of the motor or last night, didn't like what I saw. Looks like I've got a couple of collapsed lifters. So made some phone calls this morning. The worst news came from my engine builder, he says that they took a friction additive out of the oils to not cause catalytic converter issues. This has started a near epidemic camshaft failure problems. He was saying even general motors is having troubles sourcing replacement camshafts. with a big storm looming tomorrow I guess I'll put the valve cover back on and order a cam. Not what I wanted to hear, but what my instincts were telling me all along. By by $700. Lol

Lifetime Member

This is hydraulic roller. A collapsed lifter would not wipe out the cam as easily and ZDDP need is totally different.

Now, it would be running horrible due to a lifter not keeping prime.
    Last edited by ProperTuningOG; February 22nd, 2019 at 06:24 PM.

I found that the roller lifters had rough bearings, several cam lobes were galded. And the rocker balls were worne out. Drove it today still getting a flashing CEL. Although "Torque" said no codes?? Tomorrow i will get EFILive scan tool on it and see whats up?? This is getting a bit tiresome lol
    About ready to carb it, not yet!! But close !!!

After a bit of trolling on the forum I found where somebody had opened up their sensitivity on misfires so I opened mine up 100 more points In the RPM range I'm having troubles problem went away.

P now to sit down figure my tune out get it back to base and start over again!!!! What a learning curve.

That's the fun of it

( otherwise your Mrs would own your time )

ROFL Probably more truth to that than we want to admit

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbender59 View Post
    After a bit of trolling on the forum I found where somebody had opened up their sensitivity on misfires so I opened mine up 100 more points In the RPM range I'm having troubles problem went away.
    I'm really curious.... if you were detecting engine knock, would you desensitize your engine knock sensors to make the engine knock go away?
    Last edited by statesman; April 7th, 2019 at 02:05 AM.

I did it because I've narrowed the problem down to what i believe to be an internal issue. Requiring a full tear down. I have a lot of other places that need my attention at this moment. If it blows it blows, I'll do something different. I'm out of patience at this point. Ill spene the money either way. Ive got to get a roof on my house before i can rebuild the motor. So it is gonna have to survive lol
    Last edited by Tinbender59; April 7th, 2019 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team208Motorsports View Post
    This is hydraulic roller. A collapsed lifter would not wipe out the cam as easily and ZDDP need is totally different.

Now, it would be running horrible due to a lifter not keeping prime.
    I am completely lost here?? I have installed a new cam, lifters, and rocker arms --- still sounds like a diesel (noisy rockers). it is caring 60+ lbs of oil pressure (according to the gauge???) HUM??? may have just answered my own question here. funny how when you put it on a medium where you can read it, it looks kinda silly?? I guess the next step is to verify oil pressure?? I wonder if there is a way to verify oil pressure to the front of the lifter valley on the 8.1L

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast