Thread: New to tuning: how to upload the COS to my E38/T43 combo

Default New to tuning: how to upload the COS to my E38/T43 combo

I'm looking to perform a stock L9H/6l80E swap into a classic car. I believe that I need to install a custom OS into the E38/T43 in order to bypass VATS and maybe for other reasons that I do not understand, as well; the engine trans combo came out of an '09 escalade, and I will keep everything stock for the time being in order to simplify things. I've got the trans, car battery with charger, and wire harness with ECM all hooked up in front of me on the bench. Scan tool is hooked up between the OBDII and the laptop. Version 8 reads everything fine, and Version7.5 scan tool reads everything well. My factory OS for the ECM is 12630501-AA.

Now, I have read through http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf (hopefully that turns out to be a hyperlink). In the V7.5 tune tool, I cannot read the ECM in order to get to the subsequent steps of the tutorial. I've got a .ctz stock tune file saved from the Version8 Scan and Tune program, but this file extension is evidently not what the Version7.5 Tune program is looking for.

If possible give me a simplistic answer; in addition, if you all have any tips, pointers, or heads up as to some issues I will be facing, let me know. I've got no idea which types of files are for OS's, tuning, etc. or how to go about any of it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 74Apollo View Post
    Now, I have read through hE38 E67 Custom OS Upgrade Tutorial.pdf (hopefully that turns out to be a hyperlink). In the V7.5 tune tool, I cannot read the ECM in order to get to the subsequent steps of the tutorial. I've got a .ctz stock tune file saved from the Version8 Scan and Tune program, but this file extension is evidently not what the Version7.5 Tune program is looking for.
    Is this the read on page 5 of that pdf...?
    What happens when you click on the Read ECM icon...?

The .ctz filetype has replaced the .tun filetype... so wherever that pdf says ".tun" just replace it with ".ctz".

Is your V7 software up to date...? Go Help->About.

Thanks for quick response!

Yes, I am stuck on page 5 of the pdf. I simply cannot click on the read ECM icon. Of those three icons in that subsection, I can only click on the "Program PCM with currently loaded Operating System and calibration."

My version 7 is up to date as well as the firmware for the FlashScan V2. I think you have helped me out tremendously by stating that .ctz has replaced the .tun file. I just loaded the .ctz file that I made into the V7 tune tool, and I can now get the option on page 6 of the pdf where I can choose to upgrade OS (in this case it says "upgrade to ethanol custom operating system." I'll keep trudging along; let's see if I can't get the stock tune copied back over to the Custom OS.

Thanks!

(please leave this thread open for my future uninformed questions)

Lifetime Member

You should be use V8 for Reading and Flashing then V7.5 for editing. *.tun is a legacy format, *.ctz is the current format.

You do not need a COS to do any of the things you're trying to do. VATS disable is easily accomplished with the stock GM OS. Plug your V2 into your PC, then open the E38 ECM file with V7.5. You will see a red folder in the tree, open and apply the VATS patch. In fact, I would recommend NOT using a COS for this swap unless you have specific reasons for needing it. Keep it simple to get the swap done, then you can come back and go with a COS. You don't need a COS for E85 capability either, just need to enable it in the ECM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

ScarabEpic22: what is the use of the Custom OS if I can simply modify the few things that I want in the OEM OS? I've been spending my time modifying the Custom OS (VATS, diff gear ratio, etc.) I have been trying to compare the OEM Stock configuration vs the EFILive Custom OS and haven't noticed any differences. I haven't flashed the ECM yet; I've been reading these forums concerning VATS disable. I'm still unsure whether my ECM OS (whether custom or oem stock) needs a resister at pin 52?

Thanks!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 74Apollo View Post
    ScarabEpic22: what is the use of the Custom OS if I can simply modify the few things that I want in the OEM OS? I've been spending my time modifying the Custom OS (VATS, diff gear ratio, etc.) I have been trying to compare the OEM Stock configuration vs the EFILive Custom OS and haven't noticed any differences. I haven't flashed the ECM yet; I've been reading these forums concerning VATS disable. I'm still unsure whether my ECM OS (whether custom or oem stock) needs a resister at pin 52?

Thanks!
    https://www.efilive.com/product-info...rating-systems

E38 and E67 custom operating systems offer the following features.

N20 switched Fuel and Spark tables.
    Retain Traction Control operation when running in Speed Density mode.
    Extend Cooling Fan operational range allows users to turn on cooling fans below factory limits.
    Anti-Theft (VATS) disable.
    2 or 3 bar custom operating systems are not required for these controllers as the standard GM operating systems are designed to support forced induction motors. EFILive has successfully mapped these features into our Virtual VE table.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PDF notes:

This custom operating system upgrade is not recommended for
    use on factory flex fuel vehicles if the owner still wants to run a
    mix of Ethanol fuel and normal gasoline, please do not apply this
    custom OS to any factory flex fuel vehicles without warning the
    owner of this situation. The Ethanol percentage estimation
    routines in the ECM are bypassed in this custom OS upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Custom OS for E38/E67s basically allow you to force the octane scaler to E85. A 2nd fuel and spark tables are there as well. It's not nearly as common as LS1B PCMs to upgrade as the E38/E67s have so much functionality built into them with the GM OS.

For pin 52, not sure what that's used for. The COS uses a switch on pin 02 for the E67.

If we take a step back and talk about what you NEED/WANT your swap to do, this is what I've gathered:
    1. Disable VATS to engine/trans can run standalone - factory OS
    2. Update gear ratios and etc from your previous post - factory OS

If you absolutely need the a 2nd fuel and spark tables to run another fuel system (not FlexFuel as the COS disables FlexFuel), then use the COS. If you dont need this 1 particular feature, use the Factory OS.

To copy the changes you've made so far over to the factory OS file, either open 2 instances of the tune tool and copy/paste or run a script to capture the changes and apply them to the new file (details in the forum on how to do this!).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Right on ScarabEpic22, I think that I'll simply make a duplicate of the oem, stock OS and modify that. Thanks again for all the info!