Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: calc.vet pids and setup

ah, I see, would that explain the maf dtc aswell?

and also i'm at 1,130ft (345m)

Quote Originally Posted by db caissie View Post
    ah, I see, would that explain the maf dtc aswell?
    Looking at your tune in post #1 above, I see that the MAF diagnostic parameters (C2901-10) are stock (their values do not force-fail the MAF)...

so it looks like you may also have a MAF problem (looking at your log, it seems to me that it is under-reporting).

I have a k/n panel filter in the stock oem filter box, that i am skeptical about its condition, as in it wasn't cleaned properly from the original owner, and may be giving me these issues, i will replace with an oem paper filter, and clean my maf, and try again this weekend

replaced filter, cleaned maf
    no change
    set c5501 to zero, p0106 goes away (which I think those kpa values looked about where they should anyways for the map sensor)
    so does it appear my maf may be faulty?
    I don't recall that this issue was present before the cam change, so i have a hard time believing it just failed, but i guess anything is possible, it is the oem original piece. I don't really want to do a speed density tune, due to the elevation changes, temperature changes (it was 40deg c yesterday, in a months time it can dip down to 0deg c in the mornings) throughout the summer season i will be driving this thing. or am i wrong in thinking the calc.vet maf tune is the better option for me?

MAF sanity tests:

bump up the MAF table B5001 by 10% and see if the MAF pid now reports 10% higher.

at WOT 4500+ rpm MAF should report at least 270 g/s.

check logs to see if MAF pid lags/delays after throttle opens.

Lifetime Member

I don't recall that this issue was present before the cam change, so i have a hard time believing it just failed, but i guess anything is possible, it is the oem original piece.
    I don't think that anything has failed... your new cam is just making the engine breathe differently and you're failing the MAP rationality test. Any kind of idle surge with a decent size cam will send your MAP readings outside the rationality test limits. Look at tables {C3003} and {C3004} and make a map of your MAP readings from your log and see if any of those readings fall outside the high or low limits of those two tables. If they do, then change the cells which are causing the problem.

I don't really want to do a speed density tune, due to the elevation changes, temperature changes (it was 40deg c yesterday, in a months time it can dip down to 0deg c in the mornings) throughout the summer season i will be driving this thing. or am i wrong in thinking the calc.vet maf tune is the better option for me?
    Your best option is to tune both MAF and VE... and then run an open loop MAF only tune (provided you've got decent injector data). If you go closed loop, then you're exhaust will stink without cats. VE is the computer's backup in the event of a MAF failure, so it's good to tune it even if you're not going to use it. If you tune your MAF and the curve ends up looking like a wild animal has attacked it, then your injector data is no good.

thank you guys for all the help, i've since abandoned this camshaft and went with a btr stage 2 truck cam, more lift, but milder on the duration and lsa, so it runs decent on a slightly modified stock tables, however i will still continue on with attempts to tune it. your help is much appreciated and will be good tools for me to proceed with this project. Funny enough like I mentioned earlier, here it is mid september, and it's been close to 0 deg C in the mornings, and winter weather is coming soon, so driving time and tuning time is dwindling as we speak, I'll keep this updated when do get time to do some data logging/tuning.
    Thanks guys

In what state are you located...?

British Columbia, Canada, the great white north, where 91 octane fuel is more then my mortgage payment...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12