Thread: Looking for Recommendations on Tools for a Swap

Default Looking for Recommendations on Tools for a Swap

Hello folks-

I'm about to start a swap project and I'm looking for some recommendations on the best programming tools/software/custom coding options to achieve my goals. This can be purchasing several pieces of gear, paying some folks who already own the right equipment for their time, paying for custom bin files, or some combination of any/all of these in order to accomplish the following:
    - Change VIN to pass emissions
    - Shut off BCM modules as needed to eliminate or at least mute error codes
    - Remove airbags
    - Maintain stability control
    - Minor NA tuning modifications

The basic idea is to drop a 2014 C7 drivetrain into a 2000 Honda S2000. The (mostly) complete wrecked Vette is currently sitting next to the S2000 shell in my garage. My intention is to transfer the following systems from the C7 into the S2000:
    - LT1 w/ e92 ECU
    - T6070 w/ shortened torque tube
    - eLSD w/ factory control module
    - Magnetic shocks w/ DCS Sport controller

I'll need to work out merging or completely swapping the following systems:
    - ABS
    - Steering sensors and/or column (S2000 also uses electronic power steering)
    - Dash/gages and C7 HMI for stability control access
    - HUD
    - BCM and fuse panel

I know I will need to change a VIN, turn off most body modules, delete airbags, and other stuff. This car is pretty much going to be a dedicated track car (road race) with a license plate, so I'm not really concerned with convenience features.

I'm planning to strip out all components I'd like to keep along with the whole car wiring harness, and basically create a running pallet. From there, I'll need to start turning off modules (somehow) until all of the codes go away, so I will need a scan tool capable of working with the BCM at this level, or some kind of custom coding to make this happen. I'll also need to pull components out of the S2000 (steering, ABS, etc..) to merge with the C7 system and/or decide to utilize C7 components. Once the running pallet functions correctly, I'll transfer the components into the S2000 and adapt whatever I need to in order to get things running properly.

So, please provide comments and recommendations on what you would do in order to accomplish this build. For reference, I've done a number of EFI swaps using both stock and aftermarket EFI systems, as well as simple carb stuff for both emissions-legal street and offroad/racing builds. I've been doing this mostly with Fords and Mopars, but this is the first GM swap I've done, so I don't have any of the GM tools yet.

This is a huge project but should be fun and a good engineering experience.

You will need something like EFILive and/or HPT... I think in this case EFILive will be more useful (it lets you change VIN and may let you manipulate vehicle/platform specific systems and may let you tailor OBD-II support (I would have to go look at a 2014 C7 tune in more detail).

Neither EFILive nor HPT will let you edit non-engine non-transmission modules.

It will be easier if you can use as many of the C7's modules/systems as possible, including the harness (i.e. can you transplant those systems into the S2000...?)

This thread might not be applicable to CAN bus (used by C7), but this guy may be able to help:
    https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...j-1850vpw.html

In which state will this vehicle be registered...?
    Last edited by joecar; August 20th, 2018 at 04:46 AM.

You may need access to GM's Tech-II scantool etc.

( lol, you will need a badge that says S6200 )

Joecar- thanks for the input. This is going to be registered in Atlanta, GA. Or Montana, if things go poorly.

I agree this is a pretty massive undertaking, to the point I'm liquidating all of my other projects to just focus on this one.

I discussed the Tech-II with a buddy and am thinking it may be useful to have one, but sounds like most development functionality doesn't exist on what's basically a service tool. I ran into this issue with WiTech on a Hemi swap- it was certainly convenient to have a factory tool, but for the price and for how much I ended up using it, I could have just contracted the work out. Even at a dealer, I would have spent less money for what I did use it for. That said, there's probably some quantifiable usefulness I did get out of being able to see body fault codes and reset individual modules, as well as helping diagnose and fix friends' cars. A Tech-II may be in my future, but it probably won't be the first tool I purchase.

I was reading through the bulk of Pete's thread the other night- interesting stuff. Depending on which way I go with the dash, I may drop him a line. It sounds like he's speaking CAN fluently and appears pretty open to sharing knowledge, so I may contact him regardless.

S6200... nice. I was looking at doing an LS swap at first and calling it an LS2000, but S6200 may be what it's called what all is said and done. I'll be sure to credit your copyright.

Cheers!

I don't believe a Tech 2 would be of any use on a 2014 LT1 w/ e92 ECU.

Around 2010 on some GM platforms you need an MDI with the newer GDS2 software through GM.

You may need an MDI or MDI 2 to communicate with it. The original MDI has been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    I don't believe a Tech 2 would be of any use on a 2014 LT1 w/ e92 ECU.

Around 2010 on some GM platforms you need an MDI with the newer GDS2 software through GM.

You may need an MDI or MDI 2 to communicate with it. The original MDI has been discontinued.
    Good info; thanks!

The EFILive scantool has ability to read the DTC's from all modules connected to the CAN/LAN bus;

but it can clear DTC's for all modules only (i.e. not individual modules).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    The EFILive scantool has ability to read the DTC's from all modules connected to the CAN/LAN bus;

but it can clear DTC's for all modules only (i.e. not individual modules).
    Any idea if it will it display a generic PID or the module-specific code on a C7 platform?