Thread: End of the road coming for EFILive?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default End of the road coming for EFILive?

Or are we all safe from this?

posted: Mon 6:40 PM, Sep 24, 2018
    |

Updated: Mon 9:13 PM, Sep 24, 2018

DETROIT (AP) -- The government says a Florida company will spend more than $6 million in penalties and repair costs for selling computer software that disables automotive emissions controls.
    The Justice Department and Environmental Protection Agency say that Derive Systems of Sanford, Florida, sold 363,000 products that violated the Clean Air Act.
    In a civil settlement, Derive must pay a $300,000 penalty and spend $6.25 million to fix the products so they don't violate the law. Messages were left Monday seeking comment from Derive.
    Government documents say Derive sold the software under the SCT and Bully Dog brands. The government says hand-held products known as "tuners" would overwrite automaker programs. The software would stop catalytic converters, particulate filters and other emissions controls from working.
    The company also must stop selling the software.

Wolfie
    LS1B 2007 Express 6.0 /w 470,000+ miles (parked as of 01April2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Or are we all safe from this?
    Ask yourself, what makes anyone special to be 'safe' ?
    I wasn't aware this case was even ongoing so therefore I am not sure on the particulars of the products involved. However for a long time now EFILive has not any emissions violation parameters in our software, the violations they listed above cannot be done with EFILive.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I wasn't referring to me... it was just a general question concerning the tuning industry as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Ask yourself, what makes anyone special to be 'safe' ?
    I wasn't aware this case was even ongoing so therefore I am not sure on the particulars of the products involved. However for a long time now EFILive has not any emissions violation parameters in our software, the violations they listed above cannot be done with EFILive.
    Wolfie
    LS1B 2007 Express 6.0 /w 470,000+ miles (parked as of 01April2011)

For what it's worth, SCT/bullydog have been asking for trouble... not happy to see it but also not surprised by this news.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Lifetime Member

Rumor has it that this particular case was caused by their handheld (e.g. pre-programmed) diesel tuners. I don't believe that it was due to SCT's tuning software.

Fwiw Derive purchased SCT and Bully a few years ago. Derive stepped and took responsibility and also in return agreed to the settlement and big part of it will be investing and training tuners to be compliant. Derive fought for our rights and did a lot to protect the future of this industry with this settlement.