Thread: cm871

Default cm871

I hooked up to the truck fine started reading and then this it did it 5 times to me then I stopped

CliffClick image for larger version. 

Name:	cm871.PNG 
Views:	372 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	22423

Hi Cliff,

The CM871 (and CM876) have had this issue fixed with an update we've sent a couple of people for testing. However there is a bigger issue with these that might mean we remove flashing support for the time being.
    Essentially the ECM is sending back faulty data at random points, to make matters worse Cummins have the checksums disabled in this ECM so we have no idea if what was read is valid to flash back.
    There has been once incident of a CM871 ECM being bricked using tune that was read from the ECM (though recovered using forced bootmode).

We will continue to work on some sort of solution to ensure what is read out is ok.

FWIW there is major bugs in the ECM read code as this was the first ECM to go to the new comms protocol Cummins used, we have many workarounds to try to handle what the ECM does wrong (as does the factory software).

I have now posted this sticky thread.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; September 30th, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190902_171728.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	23005

My new HD V2 arrived today

Did the usual setup and did updates no worries then tried to read a CM871 with no luck
    It wont read through V8, it has an X through the controller
    So I went through and setup the read BBX and used the V2 only and I got $0284 unknown PCI....
    Do I need to try the new Beta?
    Last edited by JDS; September 1st, 2019 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Do I need to try the new Beta?
    Yes, the CM871 had been disabled in previous releases because of the reading issues.
    This is the one you need that has it re-enabled. Also, these earlier ones are not supporting for editing, the CM871 etc are only read and flash at the moment.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?29125-August-2019-Beta-Release
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Yes, the CM871 had been disabled in previous releases because of the reading issues.
    This is the one you need that has it re-enabled. Also, these earlier ones are not supporting for editing, the CM871 etc are only read and flash at the moment.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?29125-August-2019-Beta-Release
    How has this been working? Did it fix the possibility of corrupting the file while reading it out? also any news on editing cm870/871/876?
    Last edited by RDLLC; January 17th, 2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Yeah the alternate method to reading those earlier ECM's seem to be working ok.
    The editing of those earlier ECM's is not a high priority to add unfortunately, people in this market seem happy to stick with CalTerm.