Thread: Data logging issue with V7.5.24 - "delayed" data ?

Default Data logging issue with V7.5.24 - "delayed" data ?

Hey guys

Having a very strange issue which I have started to notice when using the latest version of V7.5 data logger which is a little hard to explain ...
    I start the data logger on the laptop , for the first 10 or so seconds it is "live" data, I can blip the throttle and get instant data changes on the screen.
    The longer I log for , the more the data gets "delayed".

I got to a point that after logging for approx 4 minutes , I started getting a "data lag" of approx 1 minute ! - I can do a power run , 1 minute or so later the data comes up on the screen.
    Immediately I thought I may have had too many channels or too many validated pids , so I started turning channels off, mind you these are pid/channel selections that I've been using with no issue for over 10 yrs ...this made NO difference.
    Have I accidentally changed something in the configuration of the data logger or the V2 to cause this ?

I know Ross is gonna hate me , but this is on E38 ecu.
    I'm using a HP core i5 laptop with win 10 which has never had this issue.
    Anyone else strike this ?

I won't hate you Luis, because I don't deal with support cases
    You know what might be worth looking at is to see how much load the CPU is under during logging, I know nothing has changed from your end but if the CPU is sitting at 100% for some reason that might explain the slow down.
    So when logging press CRTL-ALT-DEL and start the Task Manager, look at the CPU load percentage and it will also tell you how much EFILive is consuming.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I have seen this on my own computer as well, a fresh restart is usually sufficient to fix it.

Any updates , surely I'm not the only one suffering ?

You must be, but did you do what I suggested?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    You must be, but did you do what I suggested?
    Yes Ross , re-formatted , re - installed , restored all settings back to default = no joy.

26% ecu load

Lifetime Member

What are your results with V8 logging when you select the same PIDs?

Cheers
    Cindy

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

V7 scan tool is single-threaded, which means it will only use a single CPU core, so if you have 4 cores and V7 is using 25% CPU then it is maxed out on that single core.

When logging data, press Ctrl+Y to display the profile window. That shows you the frames/second that you are logging and the various options turn red/green/yellow depending on their status.
    Press Ctrl+Y again to hide the profile window.

You may need to play around with this setting:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v7ScanSpeed.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	22499

With the "Automatic" option checked it should automatically adjust that setting dynamically to keep up.
    If you uncheck the "Automatic" option, then it will only update the scan tool display every "n" frames. The E38 logs at about 40 frames/second but you really only need the display updated at around 10 times per second - your eyes can't read data any faster than that. So try setting the "Update display every:" option to 4, or even 10.

Does that help?

P.S. As Cindy suggested, try using V8 Scan Tool, it is much more performant and is multi-threaded.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Hi Cindy !

No such issue using V8 , logs perfectly . I just lose the "highlighted zone" link between the log and the v7.5 tune file data - unless I've missed something and there's a way to make this work !?
    V8 certainly looks nicer

Paul , I set it to the exact way you suggested ( manual rather than auto ) , ever so slightly better but I can still switch the car off and the data continues to log away. The thing is , I've NEVER had this issue before ?

p.s. Ctrl+Y shows this

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	174 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	22500

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

That all looks fine. The 50% is telling you how often (compared to "frames received") the display is updated. In that screen shot it shows 50%, so it is updating the display once every 2 frames received.
    If the PC really was struggling to keep up, then the % would start dropping (if you had "Auto" checked) in an attempt to keep up with the data log.

Unfortunately the V8 scan tool is not linked to the V7 tune tool. So you'd still need to use v7 for that.

One other thing to check is the temp folder setting. When logging, V7 writes every frame to disk (every time a frame is received). That can cause a bottleneck if the temp folder is on a slow drive (external thumb drive, network drive etc).
    Check the temp folder is on your local C:\ drive.

Name:	v7Cache.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	22501

And make sure that drive is not "almost" full.

Also make sure you don't have a lot of USB devices (like doing a large file copy to a thumb or USB drive) transferring data as that can use up USB bandwidth and slow down the FlashScan data transfers to/from the PC.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.