Thread: Couple Idle and Starting Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Couple Idle and Starting Questions

Getting my car going again. I currently have it on e85, and for some reason starting it when cold it will not start up the first attempt. let off then hit it again and it will fire up immediately. I'm trying to figure out why the first time with a cold engine it won't fire. Is it adding or subtracting fuel the second time for it to fire off? Is my airflow settings off? Once it is started I can shut it off and it will fire right back up, its only the first time after it has cooled down for several hours.

Attached is a log (10-23-18newidle8.efi) showing the starting issue. You can see the first time I crank it hits a little bit but never enough to start. The second time fires right off. All I'm doing is letting off the key (not turning it completely off) then cranking again. I have attached my tune if anyone wants to see it.

Secondly, working on dialing my idle and am very close. The only issue I see is when I rev the engine it hunts for idle. Looking at the logs, once the engine is rev'd for about 5 seconds after it holds the spark timing constant. Once the spark timing is able to start adjusting again the idle stabilizes. Why does it hold timing constant for that 5 seconds? Would {B4506} Spark Airflow Speed Control Delay be the culprit? Attached is screen shot. you can see every time I blip the throttle the spark timing does the same stall at 16 degrees (base spark setting) for 5 seconds.

One last question. With the current Desired Airflow setting it is running slightly less spark then the Base Spark table. I imagine it is pulling timing to keep the rpm at desired speed. However, when I lower Desired Airflow it wants to stall. Should I leave it as is? Or remove some Desired Airflow while increasing Base Spark? Is 16 degrees at idle too low?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idle.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	22487  
    Attached Files Attached Files