Thread: E67 Differences? 2009 vs 2010-2012

Default E67 Differences? 2009 vs 2010-2012

Dealer reporting different E67 part number used for 2009 Colorado V8 vs 2010-2012 model. ECM service part numbers 12636659 vs 12678513, respectively. Does anybody know what the difference is? I know for the 6L80E trans (in the Escalade), this was a big controller change year, so I don't know if it was a communication protocol, or the difference of VVT addition? I "thought" most all E67's were the same, but maybe not? Hardware or firmware difference?

I'm looking to get a spare E67 before I start tuning, but in the long run would like to eventually upgrade to a 6.2L, and wanting to actuate the stock 6.2L VVT mechanism.

Also, is there a lower cost path to acquire a used one and simply reflash it? I do have access to dealership level MDI and TIS web subscription to do so. OK to obtain used one, but need to keep same model year? Same engine?

Thanks, sorry for low level questions.

Hardware wise they are all the same, the problem is code changes GM made between certain year models mean they are not interchangeable. If your dealer tried to put 2012 software in to a 2009 ECM it will corrupt it and lock the ECM down.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thank for you quick reply. If the operating system is already on the new E67 bought from a dealer parts dept, then I get it. If the E67 comes blank from the parts dept, and needs an OS slammed into it (as well as a vehicle calibration) then something else must be driving a different E67 part number on the 2009 vs the 2010-2012?

Sorry, just trying to make sense of this. Appreciate the hand holding.

Even brand new ones out of the box have a base OS in them suitable for the year model ranges the ECM can be used on, they aren't blank.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Understood, thanks. This would be the "firmware" then. Seems the T63 controller of the 6L80e changed at the same model year mark (except Camero), possibly indicating a GM communication protocol change or similar.

I'll probably just be focusing on keeping my truck non-VVT as it came then when I adapt from 5.3L to 6.2L, unless there any known cases here of a native non-VVT E67 successfully actuating VVT in an engine (?). VVT gains are there to be had, but not sure I'd be able to do it successfully keeping my 2009 E67. Just go non-VVT cam in the transplant 6.2L, update the fueling parameters to run the 6.2L properly, and go forward.

Thank you very much all. I have posted these same questions at the competitors website, and have received much better support here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by OEMOBDII View Post
    I'll probably just be focusing on keeping my truck non-VVT as it came then when I adapt from 5.3L to 6.2L, unless there any known cases here of a native non-VVT E67 successfully actuating VVT in an engine (?). VVT gains are there to be had, but not sure I'd be able to do it successfully keeping my 2009 E67. Just go non-VVT cam in the transplant 6.2L, update the fueling parameters to run the 6.2L properly, and go forward.
    I have a native non-VVT E38 successfully actuate VVT so can

This is good info, thanks. How are you confirming it? I really need to do this on E67.

Default E67 Differences? 2009 vs 2010-2012

Quote Originally Posted by OEMOBDII View Post
    This is good info, thanks. How are you confirming it? I really need to do this on E67.
    Intake Phaser Bank 1 (INPHAB1)
    Variable Valve Timing Spark (VVTSPK_DMA)

** I just wrote a detailed piece about OS compatibility, easy VVT tuning of the GenIV inspired by GenV and use of the Torque Model. Was auto-erased by forum software, happens quite a bit. Will post again shortly
    Last edited by pir4te; January 13th, 2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pir4te View Post

** I just wrote a detailed piece about OS compatibility, easy VVT tuning of the GenIV inspired by GenV and use of the Torque Model. Was auto-erased by forum software, happens quite a bit. Will post again shortly
    Write it separately in Notepad, then copy/paste to reply.