Thread: Creating Custom PIDs - Custom Queries, Not Calculated PIDs

Default Creating Custom PIDs - Custom Queries, Not Calculated PIDs

Is it possible to send custom queries onto the bus while logging data using EFILive?

I'm trying to extract some TCM data from a non-supported unit, and was wondering if I could create a custom PID that EFILive could then log. I have not yet done the work to identify the address of the TCM, or the queries that I need to send, but they will all fall within the realm of "normal" data that the TCM would be expecting to receive queries for.

I know you can create calculated PIDs using data from EFILive's built in queries (PIDs), but this isn't what I am after.

I may also use this to extract some data from unknown ECMs as well if it is possible. I expect all the root capability is there since this is essentially the function the tool performs, but is it available to the standard user, or only to the software developers?

Thanks for the responses!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Check out the example "User Defined PIDs" files in the latest EFILive release: \Documents\EFILive\V8\User Defined PIDs

If you add/change any PID definitions, you need to compile them using the \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8\EFILive_UserPID.exe application.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Hello,

I have been trying to follow the example documents, but for some reason, the PID's won't show up under the available PID's for my LBZ ECU like they do for the LS1B example documents. Will you let me know if you see anything wrong with my setup?

I've created a new E35.ini file within the same folder structure following the PIDs.ini file formatting.

I also added the following details to the UserPIDs.ini file.

[Config]
    LS1B_A=1,LS1B.ini,"Trans=AUTO,Fuel=GAS,Ctrl=LS1B,Prot=VPW"
    LS1B_M=1,LS1B.ini,"Trans=MANUAL,Fuel=GAS,Ctrl=LS1B,Prot=VPW"
    E35A=1,E35A.ini,"Trans=A40,Fuel=DSL,Ctrl=E35A,Prot=CAN"

I've also added my desired PID to the User Description file that was created in my Documents\EFILive\V8\User Defined PIDs\Descriptions folder. I don't know if that is necessary or not, but it didn't seem to help.

The EFILive_UserPID.exe program runs and says okay for my new E35A file, but to no avail. I've tried closing EFILive before running the user pid exe file and it still doesn't work. Please let me know what other information you would need to help me get this working or if you have any more specific instructions anywhere that you could direct me to, that would be helpful. Thank you!