Thread: 09 lmm

Question 09 lmm

Would like to get offered info on tuning, Allison things that are safe to change with a good ecm tune and

And some boundaries on timing and limits and where is a happy medium and low values,,

Would like the info to be tested before posted or to be a safe method,, don

Ok I’ve had no offers to anything nor any kind of offered help from anyone, it has been really frustrating trying to learn this with the limited time I have trying to work raise kids and all other life’s pleasures like finance,,,so for those of u like me I will at a point post everything that I have learned and tested and try to offer as much info as I can to help those of u like me, I’m only in this to do my own, but seems no one want to help with any of it so I will try my best to help any and all so that ur not like me,,, thanks for reading and hope when I figure out it all I will have the time to answer all

The answers you want have to be figured out thru trial and error, all of the tuners have the exact same software and hardware as you have available, the difference is we all found/spent the time needed to learn how it works.

We all had to do it, and when you are willing to find/invest the time then you are free to share what you have learned with whomever you want.

This was not to be an insult to you in any way, but a very real and forthcoming answer as to why nobody has commented, or offered any help to you.

Many of us have spent over a decade, myself 13+ years and more time than I can even imagine on these trucks and learning and improving and figuring it all out, I for one am not going to make that same road paved and smooth for someone else, others may or may not agree with that particular opinion of what you are asking to be given on a silver platter.

Frustration is very much a part of learning, and the goal of that process of learning, is that you appreciate what others do and can do with these trucks, because they spent the time and effort and found the time to learn thru trial and error and logging.

I wish you the best of luck, but you most likely will not get much help from anyone, its not to anyone's benefit to share with you what may take you months or years to figure out, and some never really figure it all out completely.

Tony
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Just for info I have been playing with this for over a year,, I don’t have much knowledge with Efi Live or what appears to be the hardest of the dmax to start out tunning,, I have only ask for just some basic stuff like limits and where to start,, so that I don’t break or tear up or melt down,, it’s quite ok I have most figured out enough that I have built quite a few tunes but I just want to understand in depth some of the things others think is most important, but that’s ok I will start posting what I have and know maybe someone will comment but just seems there’s a lot of things to weird out with efi not working like it should and the tables not running the numbers entered or running what u build and limiters not working or compensating correctly that I’m lost in putting it in simple form,,,, just an answer of these tables year is what u change for a tune would help a lot,,, I’m not asking for the timing degrees in the table, just what tables is changed together, I know timing, fuel ect, just seems none match up, and logging doesn’t match what is running in truck so how can u tune if none match, It’s my first computer diesel and first Efi Live,,,, I guess posting all I know and my tune with info I have learned and see what I get is the way to go idk I have read all these topics and none address what I’m looking for

Would it help to post everything I do know and what I have learned that works to get a reply and with it tunes or what

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy ashley View Post
    Just for info I have been playing with this for over a year,, I don’t have much knowledge with Efi Live or what appears to be the hardest of the dmax to start out tunning,, I have only ask for just some basic stuff like limits and where to start,, so that I don’t break or tear up or melt down,, it’s quite ok I have most figured out enough that I have built quite a few tunes but I just want to understand in depth some of the things others think is most important, but that’s ok I will start posting what I have and know maybe someone will comment but just seems there’s a lot of things to weird out with efi not working like it should and the tables not running the numbers entered or running what u build and limiters not working or compensating correctly that I’m lost in putting it in simple form,,,, just an answer of these tables year is what u change for a tune would help a lot,,, I’m not asking for the timing degrees in the table, just what tables is changed together, I know timing, fuel ect, just seems none match up, and logging doesn’t match what is running in truck so how can u tune if none match, It’s my first computer diesel and first Efi Live,,,, I guess posting all I know and my tune with info I have learned and see what I get is the way to go idk I have read all these topics and none address what I’m looking for
    Ross has given a table description, hyper links within the software and a basic explanation of what the table is assumed to do, the first thing you need to understand is cell blending, limiters, and add-on tables.

If you follow the tables and follow all of the related limiters, and make a calculation of the logged values and the blended cell values the numbers you are looking at in the log may be correct, if you missed a limiter then that is also a reason why the logged values are not matching up.

That is how you learn, the scan tool will link to the tune tool if you set it up the correct values to properly link that data.

Again, I can only tell you that if you set it up correctly, you will get what you want for the numbers, but that does not mean those numbers are good or bad, it simply means that you are getting what you have asked for in the tune file you created.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Here are a few things I have run across tuning my LMM. I'm just a common guy, I dont have the experience Tony has, but these are things I've learned.

1. Don't change 'torque based fuel, low alt' all the way down to torque based fuel, high alt, regen1'. It can really screw with shifts defuels etc, especially in the 40-80mm3 area. IF YOU DO, just change the bottom two or three rows to get your desired mm3 at WOT. For example if you want to get to 125mm3, plug that in the bottom three rows etc, just make sure you adjust pedal position torque so you get the torque number that gets you your newly desired mm3.

2. Dont play with pilot. I do not believe we have all the necessary tables to make adjustments to quantity/pulse in the cruise/mid range. You can shut off pilot at higher rpms, but if you do it wrong you get a timing limiter that gets activated. Best way is to change pilot quantity, and set it to '0' at 2800+rpms, aat 80mm3 and higher.

3. main injection mixture limit is a great tool for smoke control. 1-1.100 works good, depending how hard your fueling is.

4. If you want to change idle timing, believe it or not but it is the 1000rpm row. Its mislabeled.

5. Fuel pressure gets interesting with the LMM. If you try to raise rail pressure, it will allow you to raise it about 5-10mpa max, and then you encounter a limiter. You can get around this by going to 'Fuel Pressure ECT, Low Altitude' or whichever table you may be using. If unsure which altitude you may be, just change them all the same...But, if you go into airflow it shows you what barometric pressures it uses for low/med/high altitudes.

Anyhow, in this table, it allows you to adjust fuel pressures based on coolant temps. I like more rail pressure, so I actually added 45mpa from 1000rpm up to 4000rpm. You then go to the fuel pressure multiplier tables right beneath, and set 1 to all the coolant temp areas. NOW, you go to your fuel pressure table, set it to what you desire fuel rail pressure, and at the end you simply subtract 45mpa from it, and bam, you now have raised rail pressure. Just keep in mind you may now have some more rattle during cool coolant temps with the added rail pressure. Stock the ecm actually pulls rail pressure during warmup, above 800rpms, to aid in warmup.

You can also raise idle rpm here while using this technique.

6. IN THE DSP5 TABLES THE RPM ROW IS MISLABELED FOR FUEL PRESSURE!

400rpm is really 1000rpm
    500rpm=1200rpm
    600rpm=1400rpm
    700rpm=1600rpm
    900rpm=1700rpm
    1000rpm=1800rpm
    1200rpm=1900rpm
    1400rpm=2000rpm

This may not be exact, others may have their own thoughts what each rpm truly is on the dsp5 tables, but from my logs, this is pretty damn close.

7. Make sure you dont get too crazy with the torque reduction table for vane control. If you raise this table on the higher rpms, boost can get a bit out of control during shifts..

8. 80mm3 seems to be the downshift point. If you have the cruise set, and the truck downshifts while towing, chances are it did it at 80mm3. So, I like to add pulse at 80mm3, and smooth down to 40 or 50mm3. This helps give some more pulling power without it downshifting constantly. IF you do this, remember to raise fuel pressure in this area so you dont get into a situation where you use excessive pulse width.

9. When using the timing calc, on the bottom of the page there are different options in the bottom left for all model years duramaxes. Pick LMM. You may notice that the pulse table mm3 doesnt match up perfect. You have to copy paste one mm3 line at a time, and paste to the duration table. Also, even though it looks like you can copy/paste your dsp5 fuel pressure table right into the timing calc, dont do this. Even though fuel pressure is mislabeled in the dsp5 tables, and I showed how to correct this, the timing calc works correctly. Meaning, 600rpms is really 600rpms, and not 1400rpms. So, again you have to copy/paste one rpm row at a time. Its time consuming a bit, but this is the right way to do it.

These are just a few things I have learned, some the hard way, some thru abunch of reading (and also confirmed thru testing). I hope this helps you and others out. Some of these things have taken me a while to figure out.