Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LS1 ECU on 5.3 setup

Thanks for the feedback, I went ahead and flashed the manual tune I referenced above and it still starts, idles and revs OK. Once I get my driveshaft adapter from Collins engineering I can start road testing. Next step is to remove the secondary O2 sensors and CAT stuff. Is the link below the best instructions on how to do so?

https://www.ls2.com/forums/showthrea...ve-amp-LS1EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by moatsman5000 View Post
    I have posted my tune file with VATS removed and a tune file I found for a manual via a dropbox link from this forum somewhere. I was trying decide the easiest way to convert from automatic to manual. The ECU I have came from an automatic 2002 F body (No VATS tune attached). I found a very long and detailed post / link outlining the conversion process however i found a Dropbox link that includes the attached manual tune for a 2002 f Body. Should I just use the downloaded manual tune and start from there?

Attachment 22612
    Attachment 22613
    Yes use the 2002 F-car manual trans tune if you have a manual trans.

I'm out of town again so I did not get a chanceto view your file.

F-car tune work well with or without MAF...

but you should try to keep MAF if you can.

+1 on what Supercharged111 said, it should run well as is.

Good job on the conversion, after the wire harness is cleaned up the engine bay will look stock.

Lifetime Member

Yeah, once this is all done he gets to figure out how to make the AC work again.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

lol, that is all part of the fun

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    lol, that is all part of the fun
    Yep I love the re engineering aspect of a "motor swap" project. I think I have the AC figured out. I bought an adapter that mounted the E46 Compressor to the 5.3 and retained the whole E46 physical AC system. I wired up the LS AC as original and extended the High pressure sensor lines down to the E46 sensor location on the dryer. I ran the AC demand wire into the cabin and plan to address the reverse relay needs from the Climate control later with a relay near the main fuse box. I am currently working on a custom adapter to mount the LS style pressure sensor to the E46 Dryer location. No need to modify any lines this way ( may need to extend the top compressor to condenser line as it is about an inch short) Hope it works.

I would suggest getting an LC-2 (don't think LC-1 is sold anymore, same thing tho) and doing the autove process. Prior to that since you are using the Camaro OS which is for a 5.7 Liter / 346 CI setup and you are using a 5.3 Liter / 325 CI engine change B0104 cylinder volume from 43.22 per cyl to 40.64 per cyl Second, what injectors are you running? If they are from the original donor motor 5.3 fitted to the LS intake they could probably be 26lbrs? Whatever they are, you need to get the right data for the Injector tables. Motor volume and injector size are fixed values. The amount of air coming in and combustion going out are measured and calibrated (Tuning, AutoVE). You can get away with the slight differences you have now since the differences btw the 5.3 and 5.7 are not huge but, just for learning sake and for down the road...

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Doc, I am running the injectors from the original 2002 Camaro (Part number 280155931 / 12561462) rated at 24.8 lb per hour @ 3Bar and 28.2 @ 4Bar based on the link below. I am running a Corvette fuel filter / regulator that should run 58 PSI (4Bar) but I have not tested the pressure at idle. What if anything do I need to change or do I need more information? I assume it would be B4001 but have no idea what to calculate or input.

Thanks for the tip on the cylinder volume change, B0104 seemed to be in cubic centimeters not cubic inch so I changed it from 708 to 666. The funny part is I am not 100% sure I have a 5.3 it might be a 4.8, measuring the stroke is the only sure way to know and I forgot to when I had the pan off.

As far as SD tuning goes is it advantageous to go SD running an NA setup? Seems like the MAF is a big restriction in the intake. I did not put the MAF in but still can if needed. Any way to just delete the MAF without the ECU going into limp mode safely without tuning?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help so far. I am trying to read and learn as much as I can. Still no driveshaft adapter and it is -6 F here today so no test drive in the near future.

Link to flow ratings:
    https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...w-ratings.html

Lifetime Member

Doc, I am running the injectors from the original 2002 Camaro (Part number 280155931 / 12561462) rated at 24.8 lb per hour @ 3Bar and 28.2 @ 4Bar based on the link below.
    Those are really nice Bosch injectors. I've found very little variance in flow between individual injectors. They usually flow within 1% of each other straight out of the box.... no flow matching required.

As far as SD tuning goes is it advantageous to go SD running an NA setup? Seems like the MAF is a big restriction in the intake. I did not put the MAF in but still can if needed. Any way to just delete the MAF without the ECU going into limp mode safely without tuning?

Thanks again to everyone for all the help so far. I am trying to read and learn as much as I can. Still no driveshaft adapter and it is -6 F here today so no test drive in the near future.
    Some people love the MAF and other people hate it. Personally, I love the MAF sensor. If tuned correctly it will outperform SD any day of the week. Don't believe all the BS about the MAF sensor being a big restriction in the intake. Your throttle blade is a bigger restriction... let's see you try and get rid of that too. I can see that you live in a place with cold winters... if you choose to run SD you're probably gonna end up needing a summer tune and a winter tune, and yes an SD tune will change that much between seasons when you live in such a cold place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast