Thread: e78 VATS

Default e78 VATS

hello to everyone,

I purchased this EFIlive flashscan v2 some time ago. I didn't need it but had a great deal and I knew i'll need it some day.

Some time ago, I built a 1.4t bench engine coming from a 2013 Chevy trax for a school project that is equipped with a E78 ECM.
    It ran great for a few months but kids being kids and learning the basic of mechanic, they somehow made an electrical short in the BCM and now the engine is immobilized by the VATS system

ECM challenge from the BCM always fails. I tried reprogramming it with online SPS but nothing works.

Instead of replacing the BCM, I thought about removing the VATS system from the ECM.. or patching it

Is this even possible to turn off the VATS into those E78 using my flashscan V2 ?? or using any other method ? I also have a KESS master programmer if that's any help.

Thanks for your help

Yes EFILive can disable the VATS on the E78, it needs to be done as an ECM OS patch on them (there is no VATS disable in the calibrations) but it can be done. Worst case it'll cost you a VIN license to hopefully discover that is all that was wrong.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Yes EFILive can disable the VATS on the E78, it needs to be done as an ECM OS patch on them (there is no VATS disable in the calibrations) but it can be done. Worst case it'll cost you a VIN license to hopefully discover that is all that was wrong.

Thanks. I don't really understand what ECM os patch means since I just installed the software for the 1st time and haven't played with it ...
    But I guess I'll find out after playing around with it.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to play with my new toy. I've heard good things about it.

Well, to make life easier, read the ECM out (you have to use EFILive V8 to read an E78) and post your .ctz file up here, we can assist from that point on.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Well, to make life easier, read the ECM out (you have to use EFILive V8 to read an E78) and post your .ctz file up here, we can assist from that point on.
    here it is.

I played a bit with the software... I saw plenty of stuff but no switch for VATS

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you start the V7 software with your V2 plugged in to the USB port you will see the VATS patch option (I just checked, it is there for this E78).
    As the description says "After applying this patch you must perform a 'Full Flash' of the ECM."

Also I think on these ECM's they want a load on the starter enable relay, just a relay or resistive load works as though it was the starter relay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sshot-9.png 
Views:	337 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	22678

Good luck.

Thanks, I was looking on demo mode. That switch wasn't there... Good to know

Learning my way.

Have a good day