Thread: COS 5 or No

Default COS 5 or No

I have been reading and this is fairly new to me. I have a few simple questions right now. I have a Gen III ECU red/blue. It currently has a 02 Camaro/4L80E tune. I drove the car for a year tuning both VE and MAF. The car runs pretty good. I think it can run better. I am installing a Whipple SC 2.9L planning 8-12 psi. I have a 3 bar MAP. I will also be installing ID1050X injectors. I have all the injector data. This is not a racecar. I want a reliable street machine.

1. Should I run COS 5?
    2. Can I run MAF on COS 5?
    3. When tuning where should I start? Use Weathermans guide still?
    4. Use manifold IAT or Intake IAT?
    5. If I can run MAF. Run the truck MAF or the blade style?

LQ4 408/4l80E DBC

Lifetime Member

1. Should I run COS 5? It has more options so if you want to use them later will be already available on your Cal.
    2. Can I run MAF on COS 5? The goal on the OS is to run on SD ,boost VE table and a couple other features for boost fueling etc, full SD the way to go on your setup.I think it will only allow SD, even if it allow to use the MAF will be maxed on your setup.
    3. When tuning where should I start? Use Weathermans guide still? Pay close attention when updating injectors CAL info, same with your map, double check it reads ok..work on your PE setup, or wich method you will use on COS.. start with a safe timing table, work on your VE then work the timing table and adjust fueling.
    4. Use manifold IAT or Intake IAT? Whipple SC should came with IAT sensor installed? needs to read after SC intercooler
    5. If I can run MAF. Run the truck MAF or the blade style? Not sure if it will allow maf on COS, but probably MAF will be maxed out, you need to scale tune, run card style maf on a bigger Piping.

LS1 PCM has a hard limit of 512 g/s in the MAF or ~67 lb/min or ~ 670HP regardless of what size MAF you use. There's a hack to scale a bunch of tables as a workaround...but many at this point simply go SD to avoid it and avoid any airflow restriction the stock MAF poses etc.

I ran COS3 using the stock MAF/VE blend so MAF should be fine in COS5 too if you wanted to go that route. You can still use the COS features such as igniting timing retard in boost, etc.

How much power are you expecting?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    LS1 PCM has a hard limit of 512 g/s in the MAF or ~67 lb/min or ~ 670HP regardless of what size MAF you use. There's a hack to scale a bunch of tables as a workaround...but many at this point simply go SD to avoid it and avoid any airflow restriction the stock MAF poses etc.

I ran COS3 using the stock MAF/VE blend so MAF should be fine in COS5 too if you wanted to go that route. You can still use the COS features such as igniting timing retard in boost, etc.

How much power are you expecting?
    +2 on SD. No need to hack if the correct way is available.
    Good to know on blended mode, never tried.

COS5 allows you to run MAF, but as was said it will max at 512 g/s... so you would have scale, which is more tedious than simply running SD.

+3 on SD... do SD now, see what it can do; then do MAF/VE/IFR scaling sometime later.

To do SD, first get injector tables right... then do AutoVE using EQR rather than AFR (see Calc.VET/Weatherman's for BEN pid).