Thread: Unlocking e40 ECM

Default Unlocking e40 ECM

I have a e40 ecm that was tuned by someone else and they locked the tune. I reflashed the ecm with stock calibration using the oem scan tool (mdi). i'm helping someone out, he is tuning with hp tuners and still can't access tune. has any tried using the efilive unlocking ecm feature? will I have to use a credit? if I get it unlocked and it puts ecm in a Deadpool can i reflash it with gm tool or will i need a tune in efilive format? I will try using the unlocking feature tomorrow, just trying to get heads up on anything.

i unlocked ecm with no problem it took about 10min

"I reflashed the ecm with stock calibration using the oem scan tool (mdi)."
    Then it wasn't locked, if the ECM is locked then TIS can't flash the ECM either. HPT is very fussy about VIN's etc as well so maybe it was a simple as getting all that correct?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I flashed ecm with two different vins, 05 gto and 06 trailblazer with mdi. both calibrations took, I could see different calibrations both times I flashed it. but ecm calibration still could not be read using efilive or hpt. after tring to read tune with efi a message came up in red letters stating that controller is locked with sercurity code. I clicked try alt keys to unlock ecm it took about 10min then a message in green letters popped up stating ecm is now unlocked. now both hpt/efilive could both read the tune and edit. with tis I normally can reflash back to stock and all is well. I have been doing it for years. hpt is doing something different now

Very odd indeed, I can't explain how that all worked.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Can someone help me with using "try additional unlocking strategies" on a e40 ecm that I could not unlock? ECM was in a G8, I guess I got lucky the first time. I didn't go any further after a yellow screen came up stating that I needed to contact efilive support for more information before preceding. I'm pretty sure the g8 owner has sent his ecm back to the company that locked it by now, but I want to know if I run into this again.

I have not run into your problem, but, what I have experienced is the E40 is VERY touchy on voltage. The GTO type cars don't seem to have a problem but the SSR's with the battery in the back seem to have quite a bit of a voltage drop. Try to use a "clean" battery charger with the ecu seeing at least 13v. It was weird and I would have to recover the ecu almost every time the voltage was low.

I watched my local Chev dealer reflash an E40 for me years ago with a bench harness and jump pack (booster pack) for a power supply. On the bench about 1/2 way through the flash it got very warm to touch and POOF it was gone.

Proper voltage is everything on these controllers.