Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HPtuners..... yep i said it.

Default HPtuners..... yep i said it.

850 for RR and 150 for a license .....now HPtuners has RTT for 250 i think it is.....
    HPtuners 900 bucks maybe 1200
    EFI LIVE 700+850+150 =1700bucks

whats going on here..... and HPTuners can tune more cars. I know that EFI LIVE has the diesel and the V8's mainly

but honestly to tune and make money for people that are in the market for getting a shop and tuning all kinds of cars hptuners is kickin ass now....

i'm just getting to thinking about a lot of things here..
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

Lifetime Member

What are all the abreviations for us backwards africans?
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

RTT- real time tuning
    RR for those that know about it is the Road Runner real time tuning that efi live has with moates i think is how you spell it
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

With fuel trims on, and bidi controls, I can on-the-fly adjustments for both air/fuel and timing with EFILive, then make the appropriate adjustments in the tune file. On the street, real time tuning is difficult to do if you're by yourself. 99% of the time I simply make a change and log it. So I personally don't have the need for the RTT and it therefore doesn't factor into my decision.

I feel both software packages are very powerful, and both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I see EFILive offering their package as an initial investment, and then ALL updates and new features are free provided they don't need a hardware upgrade (which v2 will have, and I do not forsee another hardware change needed for a LONG time afterwards)

I see HPTuners as offering their package as an initial investment, and then any additional features (SD, RTT, etc) they make over it will cost you. If you bought 3-bar today, and tomorrow 4-bar came out... it'd cost you a credit or two ($50-100) to upgrade.

I've used LS1Edit, HPTuners, and EFILive. We all know how much of a joke LS1Edit is now, but it was the only game in town. HPTuners and EFILive are very similar, it really comes down to a personal preference on interface.

EFILive simply works the best for me.
    2001 Arctic White Pontiac Firebird Formula M6
    LME 408, AFR small bore 225s, TSP 248/254 .622/.612 114+2 cam, FAST 90mm intake/NW 90mm TB, TR 1 3/4" headers, SLP Dual/Dual catback, Spec 3i clutch, 3.73 Motive Gears, EFILive Custom OS 5

RoadRunner is 599 now as well. Price was reduced some time ago. And if you want only to do Real-Time tuning you can get away with buying EFILive Scan Tool Only for around $250 or so.

Also, it appears that the HPT RTT is quite nice. BUT:
    1) The changes are stored in RAM until they are saved and uploaded to the tune. If the connection is lost/closed those changes go with it
    2) The tables which can be tuned are limited. Now, there are probably a key few tables which you would want to change in real-time. But, the RoadRunner can change any table. AND, it is actually written to the actual PCM as you enter the values

Just my $0.02, but it seems on the surface that the HPT thing is a revolution. But, in reality it is still languishing some significant distance behind the current capabilities offered by EFILive and Moates RoadRunner.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

i mean I love EFI LIVE and when i say LOVE i mean it, lol. been using it for a while now and i'm quite used to it.

but why did efi live not come out with tuning for cars like the chev malibu and other cars like that similar to what hptuners did?
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Also, it appears that the HPT RTT is quite nice. BUT:
    1) The changes are stored in RAM until they are saved and uploaded to the tune. If the connection is lost/closed those changes go with it
    2) The tables which can be tuned are limited. Now, there are probably a key few tables which you would want to change in real-time. But, the RoadRunner can change any table. AND, it is actually written to the actual PCM as you enter the values
    I read about this today and was actually going to make a post about it but backed out for some reason.

Knowing that the factory PCM cannot work in a true real-time tuning environment, I had to check out HPT's help files and see what was going on.

It appears that what they are doing is really just adding a level of depth to the Bi-Di control interface that we currently have with EFILive. Granted, without having a Roadrunner, it seems like it would be very handy with spark tuning on the dyno, but it still isn't on the same level as the RR and being able to modify any and all tables on the fly.

Naturally, I wouldn't be opposed to the EFILive folks coming up with a more enhanced Bi-Di controls configuration once V2 is out and they've had a chance to take a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
    i mean I love EFI LIVE and when i say LOVE i mean it, lol. been using it for a while now and i'm quite used to it.

but why did efi live not come out with tuning for cars like the chev malibu and other cars like that similar to what hptuners did?
    Probably working too diligently on making sure that Flashscan V2 is 100% bug free before release?

RR is now $599 and you can use the $249 version of efilive for scanning so for a single user that cuts the costs down a lot.
    For a shop you are right, just take $250 for the RR reduction.

They have certainly come out with a lot of new stuff recently. Competition is heating up.

Aagh beaten to the keyboard by Tordne, that will teach me for not clicking "submit" to the thread while its sitting open for a while!
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

my main reason for posting is what about all the other cars?? i mean i know V8's these days and diesels are plenty and tuning them is a big business, but what about the other money on other cars for all the tuning fun people want to have with their daily driver v6's?? thats the only reason i think hptuners has a hand in this, they offer a LOT more vehicles to tune
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    453HP 475TQ @6psi

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
    Why did HPTuners not come out with tuning for the duramax?

Each company has their own ideas on which markets they wish to focus on.

I personally don't see a market for half the cars on the HPTuners supported vehicle list, I mean... who seriously is out there tuning on a Chevy Express van or Astro minivan? :lol: The market may be there, but I just don't see it.

I do however see a HUGE market for the duramax, and I don't fault EFILive not even one bit for putting a large bit of focus on them. Them diesel guys LOVE to mod their trucks and make tons of boost, ALL of them... whether they're a 16yr old in high school, or a 75 year old man... they all want bunches of black smoke billowing out the exhaust pipe and be able to make 50+ pounds of boost.
    2001 Arctic White Pontiac Firebird Formula M6
    LME 408, AFR small bore 225s, TSP 248/254 .622/.612 114+2 cam, FAST 90mm intake/NW 90mm TB, TR 1 3/4" headers, SLP Dual/Dual catback, Spec 3i clutch, 3.73 Motive Gears, EFILive Custom OS 5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast