Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HPtuners..... yep i said it.

Stevo just wants to tune the family car lol, stick to your car before you blow your dads car up haha jk
    Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; July 3rd, 2006 at 09:45 AM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Real time tuning...
    HPTuner's "real-time-tuning" is yet another half-baked attempt to implement something that falls well short of the TRUE real time tuning offered by RoadRunner. For those who don't know, EFILive implemented something similar to this about 3 years ago in EFILive V5. It enjoyed some success and some tuners were able to use it. However there were a number of fundamental problems with attempting to tune a vehicle that way. There is no way around those problems with a software only solution and so we removed that feature from EFILive. EFILive will publish a real time tuning fact sheet shortly, explaining the difference between the two systems and the inherent problems with a software only approach.

Vehicle support...
    EFILive is primarily focused on supporting high performance large displacement engines.

It is EFILive's policy to focus our resources on V8s and some 6 cylinder engines. Because we stay focused on a smaller subset of engines we deliver a more useful and powerful product and much better support than if we covered all vehicles but only provided token support.

If the market wants token support for some of the smaller vehicles, then we may offer it. But as has already been said the market for such a product is small compared to the V8 performance market (gas and diesel).

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I have buddies with both...
    one has EFI and moates...other has HPT...
    I have seen both in action now...
    while I like the idea of the moates thing...its a nightmare to take in and out of a vette..LOL
    and not everybody wants to spend that amout of $$ for the thing...
    the HPT thing on the other hand is only the usual tables that everybody tunes...and maybe we dont need every table to be on the fly anyways...
    hell.. I have some basic changes I make when tuning a car that are standards for many situations....so I dont need real time on all tables....
    somebody said the pcm forgets???...it only forgets if you turn the car off..as long as it stays running you can disconnect the cable and its still on the last tables you entered in the Real time tables....
    my buddies HPT laptop crashed and he just rebooted his laptop..fired it back up and tables with last values were still there..

I have my EFI...I dont need RTT...

Unfortunately the internet gives people the wrong perception on things.
    Just look at the tuning markets out there for FORD, Dodge and GM.
    Is there a bunch of tuners for a FORD Focus, maybe a Taurus, of course not, Mustang and Powerstroke is where it is at.
    In my opinion (and maybe I am wrong) GM is the same, How many of the shops out there dealing with Corvettes, GTO's, Duramax's etc really want to try to rip another 6Hp from some guys sisters Cavalier, obviously HPT feel there is enough so they have done them.
    The S/C 3800 market is pretty competitive as it is with software and mail order tuners, so for us, why bother.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; July 3rd, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
    but why did efi live not come out with tuning for cars like the chev malibu and other cars like that similar to what hptuners did?
    You mean that wrong wheel drive Malibu Maxx POS?
    Um, who cares?

Now years ago I was pressing the Dodge/Chrysler and Ford interface development to EFIlive, presuming that maybe those OEM's would beat GM at it's own game. Regardless of who makes the best RWD V8 now, there was, and is (evedently) still no interest in anything other than Holden and GM.

IMHO I think EFILive is where they want to be, and also IMHO, I think the "oil burners" have been a nice suprise for them.
    Early EFILive V5 user - Upgraded from AutoTap for DOS!
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, A4 - For occasional day trips...
    1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - For the family...
    1989 Honda VTR250 - For me and me only...

What really stinks is the competition's attitude, regardless of their product... (am I allowed to say it like that...?)

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    I think the "oil burners" have been a nice suprise for them.
    No suprise really, we went into the diesel market with our eyes wide open, thanks to excellent market research. It was purely a business decision but the decision was driven by the fact that the V2 hardware had been delayed.

The real suprise was the amount of performance that can be had from one of those bad boys.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Paul,

You guys are Gods in the diesel market.

In fact just the other day I embarrased yet another F body owner on the street with my little tiny truck.

I don't have any skid pad numbers to share, but I can run low 12's on Nitrous. I can load up my wife, one teenage and one 8 year old daughter comfortably with room to spare. Fill the back with gear and head out for a very long drive to go camping or water skiing, while towing anything I want. In the winter I take it into the mountains to go snowskiing. A couple of feet of snow on the ground doesn't bother me in the least.

Yes, I still enjoy the occasional drive in an F body or a Vette, but the truck is truly a dual purpose vehicle for many, that fills the need for performance as well as a family vehicle.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Keep up the good work guys! Your doing great!
    www.socaldiesel.com

EFILive-DSP5......Switch your Attitude!
    EFILive-CSP5......The Smart Way To Switch Your Cummins Tunes!
    EFILive-DSP4......Switch Your Colorado and Canyon Too!

efi live ain't going no where guys don't worry, i'm stickin.
    now just to get these damn motron injectors tuned in and the VE re-done.
    having some weird issues though. here is the link : http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...=535592&page=2

going to unplug MAF tomorrow and try and see whats going on
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay
    You mean that wrong wheel drive Malibu Maxx POS?
    Um, who cares?
    not the malibu maxx...i hate those. the malibu LS 3.5L v6... its got some go in it for what it is
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast