Thread: [How To]Unlock Tuner Lock P01 LS1B

Default [How To]Unlock Tuner Lock P01 LS1B

Credit goes to PeteS160plus
    Orignal video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGeMK6LvQck

So I got a ECU and to my supprise when trying to read it I got a $0537 error.
    At first I tried the brute force method but 3 days in something went wrong with the software and it stopped its self before finishing.
    Not wanting to start over again and because the ECU was basically junk other wise I tried the method shown in the video and it worked with out letting the smoke out.

Here are the instructions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P01 LS1B Unlock.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	22864

Earth the pin point I have marked in red at the top of the image for 1 second as you power the ECU On.
    You have about 10 seconds before the ECU will respond that its in recovery mode.
    It will read and write using the stock GM Keys after that.

I was unsure what was going to happen so I videoed it to try and capture the smoke if it came out as can be seen here.
    https://youtu.be/BJxZvzSC0B8

reasonable
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

While we could delete this thread because it ultimately will end up harming people who tune for a living there is no point because this has been out there for a while now.
    Unfortunately there is no possible way to stop people doing this therefore just be aware that any LS1 tune you've ever locked is now a free for all, but that is how this industry tends to work.
    Of course there is two sides to it where you just want the PCM unlocked quickly (as was the case for bmgjet)...we provided a slow unlock function in the software but it would clear out what was in there first, that doesn't happen with this exploit.
    I know LS1B is coming up to 20 years old now so its best years are behind it, but some of you still make your living from them so just be aware of this.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Its actually illegal to lock ecu's/ecm/pcm if the customer has paid for the tune, because he has paid for the said license and now owns the tune. This has been tried in court and I encourage locked victims to pursue this....
    Many tuners still lock tunes, but most reasonable tuners arent interested what the locked tune is, and would rather start from fresh anyway, because heaven only knows what the last tuner stuffed up....
    Tuners that lock, hide under the pretense that they dont want other to know/learn from their knowledge, but in my opinion, they hide their lack of knowledge, and their dodgy tune.

Lifetime Member

I do this several times a week and 99% of them are junk tunes is the sad part.
    Customer pays $500 for a tune and then when the truck wont idle good or has issues then the Tuner wont answer the phone to fix it.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
    Its actually illegal to lock ecu's/ecm/pcm if the customer has paid for the tune, because he has paid for the said license and now owns the tune. This has been tried in court and I encourage locked victims to pursue this....
    Many tuners still lock tunes, but most reasonable tuners arent interested what the locked tune is, and would rather start from fresh anyway, because heaven only knows what the last tuner stuffed up....
    Tuners that lock, hide under the pretense that they dont want other to know/learn from their knowledge, but in my opinion, they hide their lack of knowledge, and their dodgy tune.
    Tell that to GM! LOL
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."