Thread: Bumbling noob issues on changing to a 411 PCM

Question Bumbling noob issues on changing to a 411 PCM

Quick and dirty - trying to make this simple.. New to EFI Live. Have 99 GMC truck (nbs GMT800), 5.3, 4L60E, 4WD, AC, no mods at this time.

Want to swap the PCM for a 2002 411 PCM.
    Original 512KB pcm runs OS 09379910, cal 9374401.

Donor 411 is from a GM truck, also 5.3, 4WD. Donor 512KB pcm runs OS 12212156, cal 12212431.

I've done some of the easy things like change the VIN. Truck has EGR which is staying so that is enabled. Now have two instances of EFI open and going through each item one at a time, select the old table, top left corner "copy with labels". Select same on the 411 and "paste with labels". I've run across a few things where the newer OS has additional tables or where the newer has additional values in some rows for additional precision. Easy enough to either skip on past some and adjust curves where additional new values ar in the middle of a table so no crazy sudden up/down spikes.

All is going well until I get to the spark tables. The 411 tables are GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA while the old PCM tables are SAE.MAP. So of course no values can be copy/pasted. I've not gone through everything yet and as I said, I'm still very new with this. Not sure if I can, or what would happen if I just tired doing an entire segment swap or what so I'm at a standstill at the moment. Just unsure on what to do with the different spark table values which appear to be based on two different methods of calculations.

I'm fine with feeling like a total moron if I'm just missing something in front of my nose.... the older I get the less I care. Humbly asking for help is wiser than wrecking something.

If it helps.... both the old ctz and the new (with some things already copy/pasted) are attached.

If it matters to anyone.... I'm restoring a 99 stepside GMC I've had since 2001. Brand new Katzkin interior, converting to electric fans (true factory style including also replacing the pressure sensor with a trinary one, factory series/parallel relays, harness, etc), repainting in factory color, stripping and coating frame, and more.

NewGMC1.ctzGMC_Stock.ctz

Lifetime Member

Have you tried to run the setup with the new PCM?
    All I've done is just disable VATs on a 2002 pcm and let it run the 99. I've always just did a full flash of a 12212156 OS into a 99 pcm and it ran great. Even used COS3 with a turbo for 300,000 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You mean just take the 2002 PCM, disable VATS, hook it up and go?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MixManSC View Post
    You mean just take the 2002 PCM, disable VATS, hook it up and go?
    Yea if the injectors and stuff are the same.
    Check gear ratios and tire size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'll give that a whirl this afternoon... I figured I needed to copy over all the values for things too.

So I'll verify the alternator config, disable vats, enable the EGR, enable the electric fans, verify gearing and tire size and give it a whirl.

Edit - actually the injectors are slightly different.... I'll have to double check that when I pull it back up. Only a few PSI difference if I remember right when I saw it yesterday.

The injectors did change, but it's not a big change. You could have just as easily have loaded the 1256 02 os into your 99 pcm. You can disable vats, or do a vats relearn, and run the 02 as is, but I would swap the injector tables. I wouldn't swap any 99 tables into the 02 OS other than injector flow if it was mine.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    The injectors did change, but it's not a big change. You could have just as easily have loaded the 1256 02 os into your 99 pcm. You can disable vats, or do a vats relearn, and run the 02 as is, but I would swap the injector tables. I wouldn't swap any 99 tables into the 02 OS other than injector flow if it was mine.
    Yep, this is what I'd do as well. No reason to use the 02 vs 99 PCM, they're both (basically) the same hardware. Make sure the 02 file has your injector info loaded, use the 02 VE/spark tables as a base, and full flash the 02 file. From there, read it back out and use that as your base for everything moving forward. I believe there are some oddities running efans on the 512kb PCMs, know there are lots of people who have done it (I haven't).

If you want to look at what the F-Body guys do, on the EFILive DropBox there's a 99 file converted to 02 OS that F-Body guys literally download, full flash and go. Don't use this file as the platform options are a bit different, but it's a good comparison if you're interested.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Well - I still used the newer 411 ECM as well. Changed the injector info, enabled EGR, changed the related DTC and MIL enablers for that, A/C auto recirc and fan settings.

Plugged it into the truck (I have a bench harness I made up) and it cranked right up smooth as can be.

Thanks!

Also as a test I set the fan turn on temps down way low and let it idle until those temps were reached and the fans kicked on exactly as they should. Not sure how I'll check if they shut off above 35 mph. lol Maybe a Gopro camera under the hood...

Also cannot yet test the AC head pressure triggering the fans yet as I need to change out a few other bits, vacuum the system down and put a charge back into it. With the trinary switch it "should" cut the fans on and off based on head pressures just as it does on the newer trucks rather than the semi ghetto method of whenever the compressor is on.

My goal is for the fans to look 100% factory (no problem as I'm using all factory components for then including the harness, newer fuse box shroud, 34" radiator, etc) and to also work 100% as they would from the factory on newer trucks. There is generally zero need for the fans to be running when the vehicle is at speed as the airflow over the condenser, etc is more than the fans can provide. I just dislike the idea of electric fans running when there is no point in them running which is how must people rig electric fans up. Based solely on temperature and whether the AC compressor is engaged. At a 40A draw when they engage the alternator really clamps down to provide the extra juice (also upgraded to a 160A alternator) which hurts fuel economy and power.

Another update if anyone is curious or has an idea. Truck is still not on the road full time so I have some time to mess with things but it appears as though 4lo no longer works on the 4WD modes. Going to plug the old PCM back in and double check that there are no other issues that that it does work with that one to be sure. But I have seen some other posts where people with 4WD have had issues before with 4lo either no working at all or will only work in 1st gear (will not change gears in 4lo).