Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remote laptop screen ????

Lifetime Member

Default remote laptop screen ????

Does anyone have any idea about a remote screen that I could stick to the front window of a car so I dont need to look down at the laptop while driving , I would like to be able to keep a closer eye on the dyno screen as well as the road when road testing.

Needs to be portable .

It came to mind while doing some road testing some very high hp cars , it seems in the sec I glanced at the laptop I passed a speed camera doing a considerable amount over the limit , well maybe double and it was not once but twice at high speed.

Most laptops these days support external screens. Depends on the video output, you can split the signal.
    What you should get is a 12v inverter. Usually around $30 which gives 240v form the cig 12v power. LCD screens dont suck much power, so a nice 14" one of them would do the trick. Then you can run any normal PC LCD screen, you might just have to rig up a mount for it.
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Lifetime Member

Looking for more in the 6-8 inch range , just need to look at cells and general trends rather than detail.

Was thinking there may be some small gadgets that hook up to the video output on a laptop

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEU-8-TFT-LCD-VG...QQcmdZViewItem

Something like that? Has VGA input from laptop
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

I would think a 8" touch screen tft would be great, saves having a mouse just touch the screen for different options. Something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...._BIN_Stores_IT

edit: oops ... sorry didn't look at ringram's link first
    Chassis by Holden
    Engine by Chev
    PCM modified by Flashscan
    Cam by Comp Cams

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/pr...2718647&stext=

while not cheap, this is the ultimate setup. Note, it requires you use a Panasonic toughbook laptop (a must for the serious tuner anyways, 13.3" touchscreen, and carrying handle makes it much easier to get in/out of a car, and tune in the drivers seat)

Ryan

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1998ws6
    http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/pr...2718647&stext=

while not cheap, this is the ultimate setup. Note, it requires you use a Panasonic toughbook laptop (a must for the serious tuner anyways, 13.3" touchscreen, and carrying handle makes it much easier to get in/out of a car, and tune in the drivers seat)

Ryan
    Ryan can you give us some more details on the toughbook , been thinking along those lines for a while but wasnt sure if it had proper hardware serial and parrallel ports for some of th eother tuning stuff I use

I run a CF-73, it is a 1.7 centrino processor, 512 ram, 60 gb harddrive, 13.3" touchscreen, and convient carrying handle.

It does have a native serial port, and 2 USB, 1 SVGA, RJ45 and Modem connections (as well as headphone and microphone)

However, it does not have a parallel port. You may be able to look into a toughbook Cf-29 that may have a parallel port, I am not sure, as that model gets much more expensive, since it is the true rugged versions. (the 73 is semi rugged, mine has survived a 4' drop to the concrete floor once, and still works today a year later)

I do run a docking station, so on that I have access to a parallel port, and PS2 ports for mouse/keyboard but it is not a suitable option for tuning parallel based standalone systems in a vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Lifetime Member

Something I have been pondering.
    You can buy cheap widgets which turn your instrument cluster into a HUD(Heads up display) why can this device not be positioned so as to display your lap top monitor?
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1998ws6
    I run a CF-73, it is a 1.7 centrino processor, 512 ram, 60 gb harddrive, 13.3" touchscreen, and convient carrying handle.

It does have a native serial port, and 2 USB, 1 SVGA, RJ45 and Modem connections (as well as headphone and microphone)

However, it does not have a parallel port. You may be able to look into a toughbook Cf-29 that may have a parallel port, I am not sure, as that model gets much more expensive, since it is the true rugged versions. (the 73 is semi rugged, mine has survived a 4' drop to the concrete floor once, and still works today a year later)

I do run a docking station, so on that I have access to a parallel port, and PS2 ports for mouse/keyboard but it is not a suitable option for tuning parallel based standalone systems in a vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
    pics please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast