Thread: LMM ECM Replacement Question

Default LMM ECM Replacement Question

Hello, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to EFI Live, having only used tuning companies' tunes vs designing our own for a little over 2 years. I have an 2008 Chevy 2500 that has lost one of the 5V reference outputs as well as the ground for the Wait To Start Lamp and have water intrusion into the ECM case so we plan to replace the ECM. Can I install a used ECM from another truck and flash the VIN to match? Licenses go by the serial number of the ECM not the actual VIN, correct? So I will need a new VIN license, yes?

Thank you in advance!

Adrian

Lifetime Member

I'm not as familiar with Duramax stuff, but for GM gas stuff of that era, it's better to have a fresh flash with the correct segments for your vehicle from Tis2Web. You would probably be ok finding a same year ECM and swapping it in, then finding a file that matches your VIN (maybe your stock tune) and segment swap the necessary segments to match (things like System and Fuel tank come to mind).

Yes, licenses are tied to the specific controller serial so you will need a new VIN license.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Adrian, if you are just replacing the ECM, we supply new and used replacements. You can send us the file you want in it, or we can install your factory file from the GM database. If you want to play with it, you will need the new ECM (serial number) licensed. The efilive staff has been understanding about ecm failures if you want to license it.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"