Thread: Traction Control Parameters

Default Traction Control Parameters

Hi! I'm new to this forum and am new to EFI Live. I've been searching for some information on traction control and how it effects the throttle response and rear end breaking loose. I'm running a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 with the LQ4. The truck has a Trans-Go HD2 Shift kit, CAI, Hedman Headers and Flowmaster dual exhaust. I've modified what I can based on my limited knowledge, I've also searched before asking this question. Looking for better throttle response off the hop. I've also purchased Greg Banish's "Calibrated Success" Series but I'm not looking into messing with LTFT and the like until I understand it better. Also the truck is still being assembled after a full frame restore. Sorry about the long post, I appreciate any help. Thanks! - Jim

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baker_III View Post
    Looking for better throttle response off the hop.
    Tuning will only get you so far. There are physical limits you'll have to address. How much rubber you have meeting the road and the 'softness' of the rubber compound will determine how much traction you get. Once you have the right rubber and you tune for more launching torque, you then hit another limiter... you can only increase torque until you reach a point where the rubber still wants to bite the road but the suspension allows the wheels to hop... this is known as axle tramp. Modifying an engine to make more power is easy, getting that power to the ground can be challenging.

Thanks for the reply, I should have chosen my words more carefully, I'm not looking to produce axle tramp. I just was wondering how Spark Retard, Max Torque by Gear and Max Torque by RPM can positively affect throttle response. Thanks!

If you want to tune your 4L60E shift feel, look at the Torque Reduction tables.