Thread: 2015 lml/lgh vats

EFILive Reseller

Default 2015 lml/lgh vats

Been doing programming for vehicle and ECM swaps etc for years on 2001-2014 models. Disable the VATS and go. A while back I had a guy doing a 2015 ECM for a rebuilder that he was working on. The original ECM was broken in the wreck so he had a good used one. All he wanted to do initially was to make it start and run. I built him an Autocal with the VATS on a stock file, but apparently that did not work. He had to have the dealer put in a new ECM I guess. they said that with these newer models you cannot just swap ECM's. This was my lone experience with an issue like this. I now have an inquiry for a swap project using a 2015 powertrain. Before I take the guy's money and find out that it takes more than a VATS toggle I figured I would ask here to see if this will be a problem or if maybe the prior instance was just a fluke?
    Last edited by Kennedy Diesel; October 1st, 2019 at 07:27 AM.
    www.kennedydiesel.com
    Specializing in Duramax Performance
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis.
    Superflow Lie Detector in house

Fair question John, I don't think the VATS disable works on the LML. Thinking back we'd added in all the parameters we could find as an experiment for someone trying to do an ECM swap and it wouldn't start.
    But before you throw in the towel maybe wait and see if I am wrong depending on what someone else might say and the no start was a one off problem for the one I mentioned above.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

EFILive Reseller

Thanks Ross,

Would a calibration only flash cover the VATS or would it need a full flash? I may have only done a cal flash with the prior one. This latest one I already cautioned about the potential for issues, but I'd still rather pass on it than take money and disappoint. I guess worst case is he has to somehow use the ignition from the donor vehicle.
    Last edited by Kennedy Diesel; October 1st, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
    www.kennedydiesel.com
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis.

Problem is we can't patch the OS to get around the VAT's because it is digitally signed so unless the OS code is 100% standard the ECM won't accept the changes, cal flash only.
    But what I don't know is if like the late model gas ECM's the VATs parameters do nothing, they are there but they aren't enough to disable it. On those ECM's we have to kill off the VATs using an OS patch (which as I said above can't be done on the LML).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The VATS disable does not work on LML/LGH. Several have tried it on the facebook swap page, and they all ended up spending the $2K to the company that has made a box to make it work. I don't remember there name right now at the moment. I know they work with Ken Wolkens to do the harness's.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

EFILive Reseller

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    The VATS disable does not work on LML/LGH. Several have tried it on the facebook swap page, and they all ended up spending the $2K to the company that has made a box to make it work. I don't remember there name right now at the moment. I know they work with Ken Wolkens to do the harness's.
    Just to clarify this is 2011+ or 2015+?

I have quite a few new E86A units here. I've programmed and sold a few over the years, but I don't recall if I ever used EFI to start. Pretty sure I used TIS to start them all.
    www.kennedydiesel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy Diesel View Post
    Just to clarify this is 2011+ or 2015+?

I have quite a few new E86A units here. I've programmed and sold a few over the years, but I don't recall if I ever used EFI to start. Pretty sure I used TIS to start them all.
    You can use either new or used on either 86A or 86B, but a full TIS download is required first for vehicle to start, so it needs an original or new BCM at the same time and then the VATS relearn with TIS. Then aftermarket re-progamming. That is the only way I have been able to swap computers.