Thread: E38 OS functionality differences

Default E38 OS functionality differences

Hi all, I'm just starting out down this exciting road of playing with vehicle tunes. What I am wondering is if there is any real functionality difference between the different year models of E38's. I am aware the the OS's have boundaries and must be kept to particular year designations.

I have some VE and VF Commodore tune dumps and when looking in the EFI Live software it seems that most functions are available from the early 2008 ECU's.

What I am looking at specifically is whether or not a FPCM can be run with any E38 or whether you need a flex fuel vehicle ECU to do the trick. The tune items are there on a non-flex VE tune file to set min/max pump duty cycle and target fuel pressures and the like. Are these actually functional or just part of a standard set of adjustable parameters?

I am looking for an ECU and it will weigh heavily on my particular preference if the late model ECU is needed.

Thanks in advance guys and girls

The later ones might have additional functionality (I can't remember off the top of my head).

OP, it doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things because you can't exchange older and newer OS's in the ECM anyway, you are somewhat stuck with what GM had at the time.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The reason I am asking is that I have a 2008 PCM and would like to run a FPCM from a VF Commodore to control the Bosch 040 fuel pump I have. There is no reason to run a fuel pump flat out all the time. The tune modifications for my PCM list editable desired fuel pressures and appears to offer control over the fuel pump duty cycle. Is this functional in such an early E38?

I also did a brute force crack on an E38 that I got from a wrecker. Unluckly, it had been locked previously. The code guessing took 4 1/2 days but in the end a win is a win. Efi Live has live up to the good reports I have been hearing about it.