Thread: Read From ECM Question

Default Read From ECM Question

Hi all!
    Just a quick question to verify.
    I understand on 2010 and newer 6.7 ECMs you cannot read the current tune out of the ECM through the OBD port Correct?
    Is that something that is a hardware issue that will never change, or is it something that future software/firmware may be able to do?

Thanks!

Larry

2017 6.7 Ram 3500

Larry, it is sort of possible but there is an issue. The ECM needs to be 'tricked' to be able to do it and in doing so there is no way to protect the contents of the ECM.
    When first adding in 2010 support I'll admit we didn't know the trick to get them to read so we've always just offered a library of stock tunes for people to use. We aren't going to add reading in now because tune copying is already a massive problem in this industry and with no way to protect the ECM against reading that would be doing everyone a disservice.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks for the reply.
    I have a V2 and on my 06 Cummins I purchased tunes and I read the ECM and saved it before flashing the purchased tune to the ECM. I have that saved and flash it back before taking the truck in for service, recalls Etc.
    I was wanting to do the same with my '17 that I just purchased. I have purchased a tune file from a reputable tuner, (Dont know if I should mention names here) and wanted my current ECM Programming saved before flashing so I have a backup of what is currently working in case of problems or If I take it into the dealer for some reason..
    Thanks
    Larry

Yeah unfortunately you can't save what is in there, just ask your tuner for a copy of the stock tune they've used.
    We have links to download stock files for 2010+ HERE but you need to know some part numbers etc.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.