Thread: complete noob needs help opening a .tun file

Default complete noob needs help opening a .tun file

I'm a complete noob and need some help.

I'm trying to swap a Vortec 5.3 from a 1999 Silverado into a Jeep TJ. I got a complete donor truck and removed the engine, computer and all wiring to go with it. I have it all bolted into the TJ frame and tried to start it but have no spark.

After doing a bunch of reading I came to believe I needed to create a custom OS to eliminate the automatic transmission from my current os which is 09373372. So I headed over to a site that is linked in another post about moving tables from one tune to another. (If needed I can provide the link.) I found a 1999 Camaro manual trans that uses the same OS so I downloaded it. My problem is it won't open with either v7.5 or 8.

I then read some more and user Taz suggested in another thread that 12212156 from a 2002 Camaro manual trans may be a good OS for the OP of that thread so I thought I'd try downloading that one to take a look at it. Turns out I can't open that one either.

To add some missing details, I did disable VATS on the LS1B computer from the Silverado. Also I am not using the GM computer to activate the starter relay. I am using the Jeep computer and wiring to crank the starter over. I am keeping the Jeep computer to be able to use the stock Jeep gauge cluster for now. I have installed additional coolant temp and oil pressure sending units on the engine.

I'm probably missing something pretty basic but my problem is I don't know what it is that I don't know. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

Another detail I should add is I am using the stock AX15 manual transmission with an adapter to a GM bell housing
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

Lifetime Member

Make sure you have both V7.5 and V8 downloaded from the EFILive web site. They need to be run as an Administrator and for now, you need to open a .tun with V7.5 to edit the file.

You're starting from scratch with a 512kb LS1B PCM, I'd use the 12212156 OS from a truck as it's a pretty good base file and the pinouts should match what you have already. Easiest route is to segment swap the manual trans and trans diagnostic segments into a 5.3 truck file then disable VATS. Need to Full Flash as well to change the OS. Pretty much the bare minimum you need to do to get it running.

Check out the files from the DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk...s4SRJ9NGa?dl=0
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I must be doing something wrong still because I keep getting an error when I try to open the .tun file. For some reason "most" of the files I download from that link end in error. I tried a E92 tune from a 2017 Camaro and it opened fine but it is a .ctz file. I have attached a screenshot of the error message I see. I am currently running V7.5.20. I have also tried changing the file extension to .ctz to see if the software would open it that way but still get an error. When I try opening it in v8 it tells me it isn't a valid efi file.

I am updating the software right now and will report back after the update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error_1.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	23056
    2002 Duramax

So I updated to V7.5.28 but still got that error. I decided I should try a different web browser to download the .tun with. Still the same error. Finally I noticed a button in the upper right on the Dropbox page that said Download. I selected that and selected "Direct download". This took the entire directory as a .zip file. After I extracted the file from the downloaded directory it opened correctly.

So now I have a new question. I have the truck 12212156 OS and the Camaro 12212156 OS. How to I copy the transmission calibration from the Camaro OS into the truck OS?
    2002 Duramax

Nevermind. I found the answer here:

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...a-segment-swap
    2002 Duramax

Lifetime Member

Yep Segment Swap is how to do it, glad you got that sorted out too!

With the Truck OS + manual trans segment, you should just be able to kill VATS and flash it. Should be good enough to see if it runs.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Thanks for the help! If I ever meet you in person I'll buy you a beverage of your choice. If you're ever near Grand Rapids, Mi. let me know and I'll gladly come have a beer with you!

The engine is running. I still have a long way to go but today was a successful day.
    2002 Duramax

Lifetime Member

No problem, glad you're up and running! Always a HUGE step in any project.

Dang on the timing, I don't usually get out to MI (from WA), but I was in Detroit 2 weeks ago!

Look at the Auto.VET tutorial for how to get your engine dialed in better, just need a WBO2 and to configure your tune and V7.5 software.
    ~Erik~