Thread: Question for the EFILive engineers/programmers - AFM being replaced

Lifetime Member

Default Question for the EFILive engineers/programmers - AFM being replaced

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...el-management/

Was wondering if you were aware of this. Looks like it's about to get more complicated tuning GM gassers, but it also looks like a more refined, efficient system. I kinda like the idea of cruising with a 1.5L engine that turns into a 6.2L when I need the power, even better how it rotates the firing cylinders.

Engineering marvel or turd? Looks like the evolution of GM bowing down to the ridiculous gov 2025 mandate of 50mpg. More phony numbers foisted upon an unsuspecting public. I bet the end result of this scheme is no better than AFM and probably worse. This is about as useful as a $3000 washer & dryer that supposedly saves water and the Earth but, can't actually clean your clothes and becomes beyond economical repair within 2-3 years of purchase leaving you back at the store buying more. So sick and tired of this PC world we live in today.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

"GM tells us there are 69,904 lines of code required to control the DFM’s various cylinder firing sequences."

Anyone got a copy ?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Engineering marvel or turd? Looks like the evolution of GM bowing down to the ridiculous gov 2025 mandate of 50mpg. More phony numbers foisted upon an unsuspecting public. I bet the end result of this scheme is no better than AFM and probably worse. This is about as useful as a $3000 washer & dryer that supposedly saves water and the Earth but, can't actually clean your clothes and becomes beyond economical repair within 2-3 years of purchase leaving you back at the store buying more. So sick and tired of this PC world we live in today.
    Engineering marvel to me. I've had two AFM style vehicles now and I like the system. Had a Charger that ran 13.2 in the quarter and pulled 28MPG on the highway measuring mileage/gallon and not the computer guesstimate. Unfortunately I had other issues with the car that caused me to swap it for a Tahoe, namely non-engine related problems that made the car a poor fit for my needs. The car itself was outstanding and I hated to see it go. My Tahoe gets 22 to 23MPG on the highway running 80ish MPH, figuring mileage the same way. The main problem people have with them is failing lifters, and that is a problem caused by waiting too long between cheap oil changes. You can tell when the oil needs changing, because the older the oil becomes the more perceptible the switch between 4cyl and 8cyl becomes. Mind you, I didn't warm to this new system right off, and I won't be interested in this new one until it's been out a few years.

Respectfully, I wish it were true that all of these vehicles I see with failing lifters were due to "a problem caused by waiting too long between cheap oil changes."
    Hot Rods are fun but, ever since AFM was released my shop has had a steady business of AFM/DOD delete before (preventative through the software) and picking up the pieces afterwards with full physical mechanical restoration and repair. I have seen vehicles babied with as little as 30 k miles on the clock with dead lifters???

If it's just a bunch of lazy owners not changing the politically correct really thin prescribed ZZDP free oil then why are not the Dodges / Fords coming apart at this rate as well?

I'm not trying to be argumentative with anybody that has and enjoys the system, it's just heartbreaking to see the high failure rates and the impact on an unsuspecting public.

God bless Paul, Ross, et all, for giving birth to a means to an alternative answer to this phenom.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

It is an engineering marvel, no doubt about that... but it is complex, and I like my critical systems to be simple

Lifetime Member

No worries. I can understand why people would want to remove the system, and if that's what they want to do with their cars that's their decision.