Thread: Can't Flash ECM but Flashes TCM Fine

Default Can't Flash ECM but Flashes TCM Fine

Hey All,

I am trying to flash a Cruze 1.4ltr. The ECM was just replaced and Autocal licenses have been updated to allow additional VIN slot. It registers the new VIN and flashes without any errors. But the car will not start. If I apply the stock tune back on the car starts up fine. I can flash the TCM without any issue. Before the ECM was replaced I was able to flash it without any issues using the AutoCal. I have tried using EFILive software and the result it the same. The car has power and lights up but will not start.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Lifetime Member

Have you talked to your tuner? There are so many ways to configure an AutoCal, we're shooting in the dark here trying to troubleshoot. Sounds like there's an issue with the tune file if you can successfully flash it, yet the car doesn't start, but immediately with the stock tune, the car starts. Points to the tune file IMO.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for your response. I reached out to my tuner. He was confused as to why it did not throw errors and I have not heard back from him. He's hard to get a hold of. The tune file worked fine before the ECM was replaced. I was able to tune and revert back to stock as needed for dealer visits, etc. Is there a chance that replacing the ECM requires a new file? Can my tuner 'read' the ECM to figure out what is stopping it?

Lifetime Member

Depends how he setup the file locking, but it shouldnt "complete" the flash then cause a no-start condition. Sounds like there may be a calibration mismatch or something. Unfortunately, you'll need your tuner to resolve these issues. I'd ask him to take the new, stock file from your ECM and create a new tune calibration from that.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Depends how he setup the file locking, but it shouldnt "complete" the flash then cause a no-start condition. Sounds like there may be a calibration mismatch or something. Unfortunately, you'll need your tuner to resolve these issues. I'd ask him to take the new, stock file from your ECM and create a new tune calibration from that.

Thank you, we were able to flash it. My issue is resolved