Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIN Change Not Updating

Exclamation VIN Change Not Updating

So when I change the VIN (either in v.75 or Tune Tool Properties) the original VIN is still showing in the TCM when I perform an F2: Read. I have done a Cal Flash, Full Flash and a Flash in V2. It doesn't matter. As soon as I pull the calibration the original VIN shows up again in the TCM. It even shows the original VIN in the V.5 "Show PCM Info" pop up.

Software and Firmware are up to date. Any ideas? Is this some new GM witchcraft to keep the original VIN locked in the TCM?
    Last edited by TBMSport; November 26th, 2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Trailblazer "RS" 5.3L 6L80 4x4 & '07 TBSS LS2 6L90 AWD

What TCM model?
    A new VIN is only stored in RAM until the TCM (or ECM) powers down, eg, IGN Off. If you aren't waiting long enough (say 10 - 20 seconds) when the IGN is turned off or if on a bench set up the TCM is losing main power then it will never write the new VIN.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I am doing benchtop. I am waiting the required 15-20 seconds. I am waiting minutes. I am waiting hours. I am turning switch ignition off, with main power still on. I am doing all kinds of combinations. No matter what, when I hit the change VIN, I don't even see any lights flicker on the V2 or hear the T43 make a noise. It's as if the command is not executing. The calibrations are going in and out, but the VIN just will not change in the main data sector. T43 model 24241890
    Last edited by TBMSport; November 26th, 2019 at 06:43 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	298 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	23101

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	247 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	23102

Lifetime Member

I get that same access violation as you. In future versions of V8, the [F4: Properties] window will be disabled until a tune file is open. You should be prevented from using all functions that screen unless there is a tune file open.

Ross will respond shortly on the rest of your items.

Cheers
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by TBMSport View Post
    I am doing benchtop. I am waiting the required 15-20 seconds. I am waiting minutes. I am waiting hours.
    20 seconds should be plenty

I am turning switch ignition off, with main power still on. I am doing all kinds of combinations. No matter what, when I hit the change VIN, I don't even see any lights flicker on the V2 or hear the T43 make a noise.
    Ok good, appreciate that on so many occasions the reason the VIN will not 'stick' is because of people not having the correct bench power setups which I went I had to mention that.

It's as if the command is not executing. The calibrations are going in and out, but the VIN just will not change in the main data sector. T43 model 24241890
    Something to note, on every GM ECM the VIN is not changed during a flash, think of how inconvenient that would be for people.
    The only way to change it is via the specific VIN change commands.
    I will go dig up a T43 and test the function here and report back to you (though I don't know what P/N ours are). When you are in V7 using the VIN change option you should indeed see the V2 LED's flicker when the messages are being sent so your observation would indicate there is an issue there.
    The VIN change done to the file in V8 is only for the file, this is not written to the TCM during a flash (as mentioned above).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

My test just now indicates everything is working as expected in V7 (using TCM P/N 24239352 with OS 24270599 in it).

Check current VIN:

Name:	TCM_Orig_VIN.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	23103

Program New VIN:

Name:	TCM_Change_VIN.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	23104

Check new VIN after power cycle:

Name:	TCM_New_VIN.png 
Views:	290 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	23105

Can we just confirm that for you using the process above you never see the VIN change on screen? (Ignore what the .ctz file has in it for the moment).

Cheers,
    Ross

Ok 2 things are drastically different.

When using V8, this is what I am doing and encountering. I READ the TCM, do the ignition shutoff, let it countdown, let the file open up and then go to F4:Properties. I click the "..."button to change the VIN. I change the VIN. I click UPDATE CHECK DIGIT and/or CHANGE VIN. It instantly changes the OLD VIN field, but shows no other indication of communicating with the V2 or TCM

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	233 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	23106

Name:	Capture4.PNG 
Views:	319 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	23107

When I go in via 7.5, I open the file but I don't get the PCM SECURITY menu option

Name:	Capture5.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	23108

So when I attempt to READ the module I get this:

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	214 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	23109

Oddly after I click ok, then the data window goes away and then magically the PCM SERCURITY option is available:

Name:	Capture6.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	23110

I put the VIN in and attempt to have it update and I get this:

Name:	Capture7.PNG 
Views:	273 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	23111

Name:	Capture8.PNG 
Views:	261 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	23112

I've attempted this on 2 different laptops, so I feel as if there is an issue with the V2 or a configuration of it.

When using V8, this is what I am doing and encountering. I READ the TCM, do the ignition shutoff, let it countdown, let the file open up and then go to F4:Properties. I click the "..."button to change the VIN. I change the VIN. I click UPDATE CHECK DIGIT and/or CHANGE VIN. It instantly changes the OLD VIN field, but shows no other indication of communicating with the V2 or TCM
    This only changes the meta data in the file, it is not used for changing the VIN in the TCM.
    As I mentioned above, the VIN is not changed during a flash so changing the VIN in the file (which is all this is doing) will not result in the TCM VIN changing.

When I go in via 7.5, I open the file but I don't get the PCM SECURITY menu option
    I'm not sure what is happening there but maybe this work around will fix it.
    Instead of opening a T43 file, open something like an E38.
    Then click on the PCM Security icon (which should be available when an E38 is loaded).
    From there you can manually select the T43 and see if you get a different result.

Cheers,
    Ross

ROSS!!! YOU BRILLIANT, HANDSOME, MAGNIFICENT MAN, YOU!! *BIG HUG* THANK YOU! Fixed! Now I just have to remember to do it this way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast