Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standalone Tuning

Default Standalone Tuning

So, I've been having trouble doing a standalone tune on a 2008 LMM. Is it even possible with the standard tuning software, or do you need to have some kind of additional patch download or something?

The only thing I did so far is disable the security sytem by setting it to none. Should that be enough as far as the programming is concerned? Or does it require something else to disable the interlocking that the system has with the BCM and other modules?

I already have the ecu wiring harness reworked, so that I just have a constant hot, and then a switch for the ignition power to the ecu. Then I have a separate switch to engage the starter motor. Any help would be much appreciated, I've been doing alot of research, but I haven't found any definitive ansers.

You need to tie the serial data wire off ecm in with your key on hots. Rest of your setup sounds correct. Should run fine in stand alone mode then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify though, I assume you're referring to the dark blue "Accessory Wake-Up Serial Data" wire, right?

There's also the "High Speed GM Lan Serial Data Bus." But that one is a two wire tan and tan/black.

Yeah the blue wake up wire is the one ya want.

Cheers

Here's an update in case anyone was curious. I was staying out of the cold, and just now got back to work on it.

I still haven't got it working, so I'm not sure if I have another issue or what. Here's a list of all the 12v constant and 12v ignition wires. I used 2 Blue Sea fuse blocks, with screw terminals, so its pretty easy to be sure that everything is right.

12V Constant:
    10amp - ECM Batt
    10amp - TCM Batt
    20amp - Fuel Priming Pump (only the Express/Savana vans have these, as far as I know)
    20amp - Data Link Connector
    10amp - Instrument Cluster

12V Ignition:
    30amp - ECM (powertrain)
    10amp - ECM (powertrain)
    15amp - ECM (ignition) **Plus ECM accessory wake up wire**
    15amp - Transmission
    15amp - TCM (ignition) **Plus TCM accessory wake up wire**
    10amp - Glowplug Module (ignition) **Plus GPCM accessory wake up wire**
    15amp - Mass Air Flow sensor
    10amp - Instrument Cluster (ignition)

I traced out the wires out as I disconnected them, but I also found all the computer pinouts from an upfitter manual. GMupfitter.com

I hooked the instrument cluster back up for now, basically just so I could see the wait to start indicator. I'm not sure if its possible to use the gauge displays in a standalone system. It seems like all that information gets transmitted on the dark green "Low Speed GMLAN" wire. And that comes from the Body Control Module, not the ECM. So I guess I would need to get some aftermarket CAN bus gauges or something.

I've tried reflashing a few times, but the security light just keeps coming on, so I don't know what the deal is. For some reason, it also has codes saying the fuel injector data is incorrect now. At this point it just seems like its been a huge waste of time and money. The goal was to just have a simple engine-computer relationship. Non of the extra body control module nonsense, and all the unused wires. I'm an electrician, so I prefer to have hardwired, segregated accessories. There's no need for a computer to get involved with simple operations like headlights and turn signals. It just adds unnecessary complexities. And I don't need any of the "retained accessory power" nonsense either. But apparently, getting rid of those complexities is an even more complex issue. Why can't they just be good engineers and KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! lol

Not sure if you're monitoring this but I am in the process of doing something similar I think. Did you ever get it going?

I'm trying to do a 2006 LBZ using just the engine and transmission computers. I have the under hood wiring harness for the ECU and TCM only. I have wired in an OBDII port and can talk to the ECU on the stand just fine.

I have removed VATS and tested the computer in my sons LBZ and it runs great. I also put a mild tune on it and that works well also. But when I connect up to my wiring and try to start the engine on the stand it will not fire up. I'm not sure what I'm missing?
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

I should have posted an update, but yes, I did get it running. Once I followed kidturbos help, I had everything I needed.

After spending some more time pulling my hair out, I found one of the engine wiring harnesses just had a loose connection. Secured it tight with some zip ties, and it started right up.

I was still having some issues with it running in reduced power mode. But I think that was because I was missing the emmissions components. They can be deleted in the programming, but I never got that far. Ended up abandoning the project and parting everything out.

I'm not sure how much stuff could be different on the LBZ. How are you switching all the ignition circuits? Are you just trying to directly power the coil of existing relays?

I know on the LMM, there was a Powertrain Relay, and an Ignition relay, and if I remember right, one of them was ground switched for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanSupreme View Post
    I should have posted an update, but yes, I did get it running.
    I'm not sure how much stuff could be different on the LBZ. How are you switching all the ignition circuits? Are you just trying to directly power the coil of existing relays?

I know on the LMM, there was a Powertrain Relay, and an Ignition relay, and if I remember right, one of them was ground switched for some reason
    I don't have any relays with my harness. I got the harness without any fuse blocks or relay stuff. It only had the plug which I believe is called C2. It had the orange and pink wires on it. For now I tied all the orange wires to battery positive and I took all the pink wires to a toggle switch that I can use to simulate the ignition switch. I don't have a serial data wire attached to the switch though. I guess I need to find the LBZ schematic and determine what wire that is and get it attached as well?
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

I found a pinout for a 2007 Lmm. I have read it is the same as the 2006 LBZ. When I compare the 2008 LMM it shows pin 56 on the 58 pin connector as D-Bu Accessory Wake-Up whereas in 2007 pin 56 of the same connector is pink ignition voltage. I already have that tied into my toggle switch...

I'm still trying to get this fired up but am missing something I guess.
    2002 Duramax

Hi everyone. Haven't been online much in past few days, so just catching up.

To verify those serial-data wake up pins, check EFILIVE Bernch Harness Wiring Diagrams. That's been my fall back on the question for long while. The only thing I recall,, and don't quote me, different between LBZ and lmm of importance is a couple MAF or MAP pins. Been a while, but last one that stumped me.

I have a bench harness downstairs I can always verify if you need something. They will fire without any relays as so long as correct pins are powered, however not recommended ya run 35 amps through any std ignition switch. Also have seen a slick trick using Factory fuse block, if you have that and a chassis harness laying around.

Feel free to p.m. me for phone or Skype if you'd like to chat. I've got plenty of pictures and diagrams of different harnesses, but scattered on over a few sites..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast