Thread: 2001 Astro van V8 tuning

Default 2001 Astro van V8 tuning

I have a 1997 Astro van with a 350 V8 running with 02 Express tune on a 0411 PCM, that has rusted out. So I have put drivetrain with updated wiring into a 2001 Astro body. My issue is the PRNDL display on cluster doesn't show, and the overhead console doesn't update properly. The console was an issue on the older van too.

With an Astro tune on the PCM those things work, but of course the engine doesn't run on all cylinders. Anybody know a way to combine them both? The PRNDL info is sent over the serial bus to the cluster, but the Express is hard wired.

Thanks for any tips!

Scott

Lifetime Member

Post the 2 tunes you're talking about, the running one w/Express Van and the cluster/console working w/bad running. Are you copying over all of the changes in the Platform options area?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Here are the two files. I did try setting platform options to M/L van. Also I tried a 2001 Express tune with the same results, I know my Express tune is 2002. Also tried matching the vin. The stock tune is V6, so thats why it wont run the motor correctly. But the serial stuff is good with it.

Thanks,
    Scott

2001 Astro van Florida -original.ctzastrov8dec312019original.ctz

Lifetime Member

I don't know what the "new" 01 Astro van needs to see for a PNRDL config, probably something deep in the platform options.

The 01 Astro Van file you posted uses 12208322 as the OS, which was widely used in 01. So, that should be the base file used as it should let all system functions properly (with the V6) and sounds like that's the case. I looked and I don't see some options available that are needed to change the config from V6 -> V8. I also couldn't find either an 02 Astro file or 01 Express Van in EFILive format.

Try this, I changed all the Platform options to ML Van. Try to hunt down an 01 Express Van file and segment swap the Engine and Engine Diagnostics segments into your 01 Astro file. The PNDRL stuff is likely in the Trans/Trans Diag or System options so try to leave those as-is.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Default 2001 Express Van file

Here is an Express Van file for 2001 with the 5.7.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Lifetime Member

Thanks Al, appreciate it!!

I segment swapped the original 01 Astro file with the Engine and Engine Diagnostic segments from the tune Al provided. Try this out, it's a bone stock 5.7 and I didn't copy anything over from your 02 Van tune so it may need some things tweaked.

If this doesn't work, then we're likely in the position where the System segment needs to be from a V8 to work properly, but that doesn't play nice with the Astro cluster and/or overhead column so it'd need to be a hybrid that someone with hex experience could do.
    ~Erik~

That absolutely worked! Thanks so much! But how did you do it? I wasn't able to figure out the segment swap procedure correctly.

Thanks again,
    Scott

Good job Erik!
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Thanks to you too Al.. I really appreciate the help from you both!

Scott

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfeaver View Post
    That absolutely worked! Thanks so much! But how did you do it? I wasn't able to figure out the segment swap procedure correctly.

Thanks again,
    Scott
    Awesome to hear! Now that it's running, you can copy (unfortunately table by table) any spark/VE/trans settings you like from your 02 file into that new base file. If you don't, then you can start tweaking this one.

You have to have the same OS # to do a segment swap (and that was the key piece that Al provided, an 01 Express Van with the same OS # as your 01 Astro). Open the destination tune (one you want the new segments to be imported into) then click File -> "Load alternate calibration for comparison" and open the source tune (tune you want the segment(s) from). Then Edit -> "Copy Entire Segment" and select the segment(s) you want to migrate from the alternate/source tune into the destination tune. If you do Engine, you need to do Engine Diagnostics as well. Same for transmission (usually from 4L60E to 4L80E or manual), need both Trans and Trans Diag segments.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    Good job Erik!
    Al
    Thanks Al!
    ~Erik~