Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSP4 Able to Read?!?!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member

Default DSP4 Able to Read?!?!?

Since when was dsp4 allowed to be read out? I have a guy saying he read his dsp4 file with his new v2. When did efilive change that?
    @GMPX

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hacklerjason; January 24th, 2020 at 10:31 AM.

Lifetime Member

Does the newest firmware not check prior to reading?

Lifetime Member

Cindy? Anybody?

Read block on the E98 cannot be applied to the OS like a Bosch or Cummins ECM, in fact you can't read an E98 without sending down an executable bootloader to do so because the ECM supports no such 'read' function from GM.
    To stop the ECM being read you just have to lock the ECM as an option to the full flash (this also prevents it being flashed unless the key is known). The read of the E98 is not dependant on firmware etc, it is 100% reliant on the ECM being locked after flashing. This is how majority of GM ECM's have worked ever since back in the LS1 PCM days.
    Last edited by GMPX; January 25th, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Read block on the E98 cannot be applied to the OS like a Bosch or Cummins ECM, in fact you can't read an E98 without sending down an executable bootloader to do so because the ECM supports no such 'read' function from GM.
    To stop the ECM being read you just have to lock the ECM as an option to the full flash (this also prevents it being flashed unless the key is known). The read of the E98 is not dependant on firmware etc, it is 100% reliant on the ECM being locked after flashing. This is how majority of GM ECM's have worked ever since back in the LS1 PCM days.
    What happened to the error for dsp4 cannot be read?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    The read of the E98 is not dependant on firmware etc, it is 100% reliant on the ECM being locked after flashing
    Why was he not greeted with $0538?

Quote Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
    What happened to the error for dsp4 cannot be read?
    I don't recall there was such an error for the E98 *, for a locked E98 a user would get '$0537' - Controller is locked with a custom key. * Happy to be corrected on that.

Why was he not greeted with $0538?
    Re the error description for the $0538 code:

Controller contains a DSP Operating System which can't be read.
    Once a controller has been upgraded with a DSP2 or DSP5 custom operating system, it cannot be read from the controller.

This is ONLY applicable to the LBZ & LMM Bosch ECM's (eg, DSP2 or 5).
    As I mentioned above about the read process, it is built into the OS from Bosch so we had to shut that out because the full area the DSP OS's take up cannot be read out therefore a full valid read cannot be done.

The E98 can only be stopped from reading by locking the controller with a new Seed/Key pair, this is exactly the same as the LB7 and LLY used to be locked.
    There is an exception to that unfortunately, we can't lock the new 5 byte seed/key controllers (eg the 2017+ ones that need an auth-code).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Just to update this thread. The Custom Operating Systems restrictions list documented in the Problems Reading a controller help document do not list E98. https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...4916-QPHL-4912

The E98 DSP upgrade document does not indicate read block is activated.

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

There are such distasteful people out in the world. After he read this thread is now encouraging tune reading and most likely does this himself regularly

Last edited by hacklerjason; January 31st, 2020 at 02:50 PM.

There are such distasteful people out in the world. After he read this is now encouraging tune reading and most likely does this himself regularly
    I agree and it is getting worse, just like other tuning companies copy and steal our custom OS work to profit from. I feel sorry for them if that is the best they can come up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast