Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning question Road tuning

Yea the VE table is so much easier. The VVE is giving me fits. If i get the car to operating temp, drive it and log driving in D and then try it again shifting manually the BEN map is completely opposite.

So manually editing is the only way along with Ben #s? And setting correct boundaries can you elaborate on how? You mean matching the correct KPA to zone?

Also if Going back to the MAF when i do, you log the parameters in that guide and make a hystogram map of what? I have not done the MAF yet, i see in the guide was Pids to select that was it.

Lifetime Member

Understand this.... SD sucks at the best of times. Don't put too much effort into it unless you intend on running SD full time. Until you have a better idea of what you're doing, I'd suggest leaving the factory VVE tables and boundaries and just tune the MAF.

I'm not here to teach you how to tune, but I will say this..... Make sure you always have PE enabled. Make sure you're in open loop if you're tuning exclusively with wideband. Make sure you apply transient filters. And always log for KR when you're logging.

Up until today i was always had PE enabled. Just went to try something different and went off course shall we say from some frustration to try another method, yes i know now i look at it made no sense now. Yes open loop of course and the rest of what you mentioned i have been doing. Im just trying to set myself up and most importantly know what parameters im changing. I plan on taking in alot this year and its a tedious process. I really want to get the VVE table done correctly though

To reinforce what statesman said above, NEVER turn off PE... make sure PE is sufgiciently rich, and make sure it enables promptly... and look/listen for knock.

Disable one air source while correcting/tuning the other, and disable all forms of trimming (including OL STFT).

Transient filter is very important. Try to tune on a loadable dyno rather than the street.
    Last edited by joecar; January 26th, 2020 at 10:23 PM.

For E38 and E67 try and see if you can use SAE.LAMBDA if it works (you may have to check its sense).

( GM.AFRATIO_DMA (_M) does not always work correctly on all ECM's )
    Last edited by joecar; January 26th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

Don't worry above the VVE zone boundaries, they should already be in the right places.

Transient filter are they different to apply in V8, i know in V7 how to but v8 not so much

Update...i am figuring it out. I got a cruise parts of my map to be steady at 1.00 to .0998. The manual blending is the real struggle especially looking at a blaring red background on those tables
    MIKE

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToonerSQUAD89 View Post
    Update...i am figuring it out.
    It's a steep learning curve, but with perseverance you'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    It's a steep learning curve, but with perseverance you'll get there.
    Yea definitely. Taking the time to experiment with things in V8 and also tune tool has helped alot. Still have a lot more to explore but its a great feeling that its all coming together and understanding it. Once i do a few more logs focusing on different sections itll get dialed in and ill do the MAF and then re-enable it to have a MAF+SD tune and ill re enable trims to help with any deviations that do occur out of my control
    MIKE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12