Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4l80e to six speed (cda009)

Default 4l80e to six speed (cda009)

Ok here we go again as my original post didnt load or so it seems. I am a complete newb who bought the v2 to be able to do donor motor swaps. My first task is helping with a motor swap. A standard cab shortbed that has a 4.3 and will be getting a completely stock lq4. My buddy has already put the pedal and master cylinder in the truck and has the bellhousing conversion and clutch to run this 350z trans. strange I know but we are more fab guys entering ls world. So my question is how do I shut off the trans control completely so nothing is reported>? I pulled the 6.0 tune and deleted vats and want adress the TC side of things. So again i realize this is a strange build but It would be the same question if I wanted to run a powerglide or th350. Once I can get clarity on trans I can full flash the gen 3 pcm that is already in truck controlling the factory 4.3.

Im ready to get destroyed on this topic which I am down for but as long as it comes with an answer!

Lifetime Member

I think the easiest thing to do here would be to switch over to a 2001-2002 Camaro tune with a full flash, but with the LQ4 engine stuff segment swapped in. Then just change the ratios for the transmission in the Corvette's transmission segment, update the rear gearing, and I would think you'd be good to go. Just remember, you can only swap segments from PCMs with the same OS, which OS do you currently have? With the GenIII, 12212156 is the best in the sense that you can get COS5 which likely has a bunch of stuff you don't really need, but it does have the semi open loop tables which are pretty sweet. Nothing strange about the Z trans, lots of folks are also using the AR5 I believe it's called from the Colorado. People want stupid money for a 20+ year old T56 that still needs a rebuild.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Lifetime Member

Yep, run a manual OS and don't worry about it. Use a manual 02 Camaro tune, copy/paste the engine info from an 02 LQ4 tune so it'll be close then flash it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Yep, run a manual OS and don't worry about it. Use a manual 02 Camaro tune, copy/paste the engine info from an 02 LQ4 tune so it'll be close then flash it.
    Good point, if you can't find the correct OSs for a full engine segment swap you can always copy and paste that stuff over. Then again, I just found this gem over in the tune file depot. An LQ4 with 12212156 OS, boom.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk...56%29.tun?dl=0

Here's a link to a bunch of stock tunes, very useful when doing segment swaps and the like.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk...s4SRJ9NGa?dl=0
    Last edited by Supercharged111; April 2nd, 2020 at 05:25 AM.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.

ok so now I think I am getting somewhere! awesome so lets keep passing those quarantine hours! I guess I should keep asking because the right group is here, I now have the lq4 with the correct operating system to swap with an 02 camaro's trans tune. luckily i think i can look up the segment swap otherwise we woulda been walking me through a cut and paste too because it sounds easy but....i dunno wat what point ur cutting I will admit Supercharged11 I have not looked at your suggested the site for an 02 camaro tune. excited to get response so I had to fire this back. I am going to look for an 02 camaro 6 speed tune. I will also make sure i got an idea on how to segment swap because yes we are that green here. I s it silly to ask why we are segment swapping the motor into the the camaro tune, Could I segment swap the camaros trans tune into the lq4 tune? And I understand it takes the same operating systems to be compatible without cut/pasting but can I full flash a gen 3 ecm with my built tune using the 12212156 Os No matter what OS it is currently running on? again thanks guys I really appreciate this

ok now we are getting somewhere! Supercharged 11 thank you for the link. I have downloaded the 02 camaro manuel tune and the lq4 tune with same os. Do i have to swap the lq4 into the camaro tune? or would segment swapping the trans from the camaro tune into the lq4 tune be the same thing? Also When I create the frankenstein tune using 12212156 will doing a full flash rewrite the OS that is currently on controller??

In addition, If i have an 02 silverado tune with a 4.8 and a manuel trans would the 4.8 tune run the 6.0 ? I feel like I have an ls1 tune with a manuel trans also. Would either of these actually run the truck. I suppose not unless they are 6 speeds but in general are tunes from different iron blocks ls's interchangeable?
    thanks again

Lifetime Member

You'll want to segment swap the LQ4 engine and engine diagnostic segments onto the Camaro tune. There's some underlying stuff in both that you can't see and it sounds like the Camaro would be the better base here. Of course if you find something in the future you can always redo it the other way. An iron block 5.3 will have different VE, timing, possibly injectors, startup, idle, etc. It'd probably run with or without quirks. I know in my racing series mods are very limited. Since a 5.3 is so much cheaper, we're allowed to use it in place of an aluminum 5.7 LS1, but with ZERO changes to the PCM. Not even allowed to tell the PCM it's now a 5.3 and not a 5.7. 5.0 Mustang guys can swap in 24# injectors and a Ford E cam. Again, no EECIV changes allowed. The cars seem to run OK, but I would overwhelmingly prefer to be able to clean some things up in cases like this.

wow this has been amazing help. i dont need to know exactly why the camaro tune is the better base but I found out how to segment swap the lq4 calibrations and diagnostics into the camaro file. I pulled 02 camaro manuel tune from the website you recommended (thanks again). When I open the tune in v7.5 it says in the calibration screen that it had a 4l80e? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tune.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	23236 lemme know your thoughts please. I see that the 02 camaro comes with a dbc setup which works good in this case, however can you change a dbw to dbc by changing to "no" in platform parameters? does the comp know to use an Iac and tps?? seems unlikely to me. Another OS platform situation? I hope this has passed some quarintine time! now you know the 60./6 speed swap. I am to : 1. swap lq4 calibrations and diagnostics into the 02 camaro tune 2. delete vats and whatever else (2nd 02) he feels neccesary and full flash his controller with what i came up .with??

Lifetime Member

I'll have to open the Camaro tune on my laptop, but once you segment swap the 6.0 engine segment into a true 6 speed Camaro tune it should come with all the the DBW stuff enabled for you. If you encounter issues with the DBW stuff, then maybe you just segment swap the manual trans and trans diagnostics into the truck tune at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast