Thread: Anti Theft Relearn using Scan DVT on E38

Default Help!!! Need Anti Theft Relearn using Scan DVT on E38

E38 ECM in 2015 Camaro LS3/TR6060
    Serial: 86K25176TUYH

Backstory:
    Obtained two identical 2015 Camaro 1LEs with LS3/TR6060; one wrecked with good drivetrain, the other a theft with no engine/transmission. Wrecked car runs and drives with no MIL and no DTCs. Downloaded cal file out of ECM for safe keeping. Pulled engine/trans/E38 with engine harness and put into theft car. Changed VIN # in ECM to same as car.

Issue:
    Car would not start (no crank) and “Service Theft Deterrent System” shows on DIC along with security indicator lamp. Scan with V2 shows P0513 & P1631 DTCs. According to GM Service Manual: P0513 is set when “The calculated response from the BCM does not equal the calculation performed by the ECM”, and P1631 is set when “The ECM receives incorrect immobilizer data from the BCM”. Okay, so I need to get the ECM and the BCM on the same page of the hymnal. Not totally unexpected.

Actions attempted:
    Opened 7.5 Tune and checked the VATS parameters:
    {G1204} VATS Enable Yes
    {G1205} VATS Auto learn Enable No
    {G1206} VATS Required To Run No
    {G1209} VATS Mode No
    {G1210} VATS Type Type 2
    {G1211} Remote Start Allowed Yes
    {G1214} Relearn Count 3
    {G1215} Relearn Timer 600
    {G1216} Theft Relearn Password No

(Compared the above with a stock ’14 Camaro LS3/E38 and all were the same. Wondering if they should be revised to clear the current conditions? i.e. {G1205}, {G1209} & {G1216} = Yes?)

Attempted the ignition cycle method of relearn (3 cycles/600 seconds “on”). Failed to clear “Service Theft Deterrent System”.

Attempted to use DVT function Anti Theft Relearn though I could not find any documentation on the procedure. Selected Activate and Relearn. Nothing happened immediately, so cycled ignition off/on and “Service Theft Deterrent System” DIC message disappears and security indicator lamp goes out. Attempted to start but still would not crank. Attempted the cycle method of relearn (3 cycles/600 seconds “on”). Deactivated the DVT function. “Service Theft Deterrent System” immediately shows on DIC along with security indicator lamp.

Used the Tune tool to add VATS Delete patch and reflashed. Engine starts and runs, but still have “Service Theft Deterrent System” DIC message and security indicator lamp lit. Prefer to have no security warnings on DIC, and would rather not have to rely on a dealer to reset the ECM/BCM modules.

Questions:
    What is the correct procedure to use with the DVT Anti Theft Relearn so that the ECM will accept and learn a new security code from the BCM? If the ignition cycle is required, what is the correct on/off times? Should the ignition be cycled to the start position each time?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by Turbosaurus; April 19th, 2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: plea for help!

So here is what I've attempted so far...

OEM settings for the VATS parameters:
    {G1205} VATS Auto learn Enable No
    {G1209} VATS Mode No
    {G1216} Theft Relearn Password. No

Modified settings for the VATS parameters:
    {G1205} VATS Auto learn Enable Yes
    {G1209} VATS Mode Yes
    {G1216} Theft Relearn Password. Yes

Tried the DVT Anti Theft Relearn with each of the above, with the same negative results, using the following:

Turn Ignition on to RUN.
    Connected Scan and read trouble codes. P0513 & P1631 DTCs are shown. Select Clear diagnostic trouble codes and only P0513 remains.
    Select DVT tab, Anti Theft tab, and press Activate and Relearn. Green highlight bar appears.
    Cycle ignition Off and On to Run. “Service Theft Deterrent System” and security indicator lamp show on DIC.
    Cycle ignition Off and On to Run a second time. “Service Theft Deterrent System” and security indicator lamp DO NOT show on DIC.
    Thinking Relearn is active, go through cycle method of relearn (3 cycles/600 seconds START-RUN, 30 seconds OFF). Each time NO warning messages on DIC.
    At this point the ECM should have Relearned, but subsequent attempts to start are NO CRANK.
    Pressing De-activate will bring back “Service Theft Deterrent System” and security indicator lamp instantly.

Reading in the GM service manual that DTCs should be cleared prior to programming the BCM/ECM, I tried clearing the trouble codes a second time while the DVT Anti Theft Relearn was Active. This way the DTC all clear and stay cleared. It did not prove successful while repeating the above procedure.

Getting the “Service Theft Deterrent System” and security indicator lamp to clear with the DVT Anti Theft Relearn tells me it is trying to work, but I don't know the proper procedure to make it stick.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

So no one has used the DVT function to reset the ECM & BCM security keys? I still haven't found any documentation, and my attempts have not worked. Any tribal knowledge?

since you have both cars. put the ecu back into the wreck then use a tis2web subscription to put the ecu in "ready for removal" mode.

then put it into the good car, then run the link up of modules.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds reasonable, except:

- I don't have Tis2Web (I've been told I could link them in the car with this, but don't want to go to a dealer if EFILive will work)
    - The engine harness is not in the wrecked car anymore (pulled together with the ECM on the engine)
    - The wrecked car has been further stripped of ignition hardware, DBW pedal, fuse block, communication module, etc.

Any ideas using EFILive V7.5 DVT Anti Theft Relearn?