Thread: LS1 with 6L80e

Wink LS1 with 6L80e

So this post is mostly here for recording/historical purposes & might be helpful for others that want to get rid of their shitty 4l60 gearbox behind an LS1 ecu...

This is the 2nd car i have done by using the PCS standalone controller to run a 6l80 in place of either a manual or auto gearbox.

1st car i did was a VZ Clubsport M6 (E40 ecu) Turbo'd 402Ci, added paddle shift steering wheel for use in tapshift mode
    2nd car I'm just finishing up & will contain most of the relevant info here is an auto VX SS Commodore.

Wiring wise, i removed the original allocated tps wires then repined one of the digital inputs to be the tps signal

move another digital input wire to pwm9, this one goes direct to pin 56 on the red connector, I've using efilive custom os5 & set it N20 mode so when it grounds it can remove timing on shifts. (PCS controller sets the ground)

joined PN safety wires A & C from C2 with G from C1 on factory Neutral Safety wiring connectors to the PWM7 output from PCS for Park/Neutral.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans_switch_safety.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	23266

PCS is configured like so

Name:	PCS-PWM.PNG 
Views:	328 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	23265

TPS & Tacho signal wires are just spliced into the ecu wires
    TPS - Tap into Ecu Pin Red 24
    Tacho - Tap into Ecu Pin Red 10
    Auto Mode change (Calibration B) = Cut wire into ecu on blue 71 and feed to a digital input on PCS (ecu no longer connected)
    Brake Input - Tap into Ecu Pin Blue 33 on commodore this is listed as Cruise Control Release Signal (brake input basically) Still to verify.

Set Digital Inputs in PCS software like so

Name:	PCS-Digital-Input.PNG 
Views:	240 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	23267

I'll post more info once car is running, but i've already modified tune in trans and verified it's seeing tps values change. There does seem to be an issue with efilive trying to perform reads on the controllers, i find you have to start the read then turn the key/ignition off for it to get a successful read. Oddly HPT doesn't have this problem.

But writing with either cables is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; April 27th, 2020 at 02:32 AM.

Great news,
    Can you go into a little bit more detail on these? My bud and I want to do this in his '03 dbw truck that just crap'd out the 4L60e. I assume I would grab tps off the pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post

Wiring wise, i removed the original allocated tps wires then repined one of the digital inputs to be the tps signal. What's this?

move another digital input wire to pwm9, this one goes direct to pin 56 on the red connector, I've using efilive custom os5 & set it N20 mode so when it grounds it can remove timing on shifts. (PCS controller sets the ground) Do you have to run a COS? Is this just to soften shifts?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
    I'll post more info once car is running, but i've already modified tune in trans and verified it's seeing tps values change. There does seem to be an issue with efilive trying to perform reads on the controllers, i find you have to start the read then turn the key/ignition off for it to get a successful read. Oddly HPT doesn't have this problem. Did you add CAN hi/lo to the existing OBD2 port or does the 6LXXe have its own obd2 connector?

But writing with either cables is perfectly fine.

the pcs controller comes with it's own wiring harness, it comes with the tps wires labelled on a 3 pin connector. i basically remove it to reduce the size of cables through the firewall. since you only need 1 wire not the 3 it comes with. it's there for use on cars where they dont have a tps at all. so it's 5v, gnd & signal.

i just use 1 of the spare digital input wires and move it to the old tps pin on the pcs controller plug.

you dont need to run the cos, there is other ways to remove timing if your clever.

can hi/low etc are on another obdi plug direct from the pcs/gear box. the obdi plug wires are direct to the gearbox

Thanks for the reply. I was figuring on using one of my IAT trickers for the timing instead of a COS

Tre-Cool,

Good job thanks for posting.

the brake input on pin 32 works. just had to adjust the input so that with the brake not pressed it doesn't trigger. i.e just changed the input logic on it.

had to also flash it with a corvette tune because it would not change from D6 by moving 1 position past Drive mode. Now it goes P R N D 6 4

I basically configure the cars so that D is normal auto drive, then u pull it back to what used to be 3 and that changes to the TUTD engaged mode so buttons work. Similar to how the camaro's work. that way once you've had your fun, u push it fwd back to D and let it handle shifting again.

So I have the speedo working, but whats odd is the ecu does not see correct speed.

I set the PCS to output 4000ppm & using the following I can get the dash to line up perfectly with the T43 controller speed.

Name:	LS1-PCS-Speedo.PNG 
Views:	699 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	23277

H0106 has no effect on anything. Which makes sense as the output to the stock commodore dash comes from Pin50.

H0105 adjusts / moves the dash speedo up or down from the transmission logged speed.

H0101 - VSS speed only works above 100kph but flips to 0kph constantly.

Great post
    Very interested in putting a 6L80 in my 6.0L Yukon.