Thread: P0300 - Misfire only at idle

Default P0300 - Misfire only at idle

Convinced it must be a vacuum leak – multiple smoke tests, some minor leaks around TB shaft, etc. fixed and, no change. In fact, I think it is getting worse; sets the P0300 code sooner/more often.

Truck starts and runs great/strong; at WOT the injectors are at 90% duty cycle so I’m guessing it’s making pretty good power. Idle quality is actually pretty good besides the slight roughness from the misfires and the P0300 DTC. Minor work left to do on startup friction I think but that’s it.

For reference if looking at tune: 12212156 OS
    6.0 Yukon XL transplant.
    TBSS intake, Texas Speed Stage 2 truck cam (212/218, .550, 112+2), 92mm throttle body, 8.1L (30pph) injectors - referenced, stock manifolds/exhaust

Smoke test, no vacuum leaks, good fuel pressure, new injectors, new MAF cleaned, head/chassis grounds-serviced, old coils, relatively new plugs (iridium gapped at .040) and wires, O2 sensors recent but not new.

In the “Cruise” log the few misfires that appear are only when the vehicle comes to a complete stop, otherwise, zero. At idle, they pile up pretty quickly. Usually 2-4 cylinders have more misfire occurrences but it varies which ones so, they truly appear to be random.

WBO2 shows good AFR at idle and all other loads.

Haven’t had anyone look at tune yet so maybe something there.

Also wondering what IAC steps should be at idle? In other words, do I need to drill a hole in the blade?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forgot about the idle airflow - it seems really high, (SAE.MAF) around 12 g/s IIRC

That cam can have a choppy enough idle to cause it to set random misfire codes. Not uncommon to have to raise the counters at idle. I am on my phone but remind me and I will take a look and try to help.

Thanks Road.
    I do detect intermittent stumbles at idle (and visual "rocking" of engine) outside of what I consider normal "cam" idle characteristics/rhythm and there is an exhaust smell that I'm not experienced enough to know if it's related to a lean condition or cam overlap, etc.

Did crank relearn and haven't had it pop up again... yet.