Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is my tuning goal?

Question What is my tuning goal?

OK, I have the wide band and I'm at the point of flashing the SD tune in and start logging the MAPs . Swell... I do this for whatever time it takes and get the changing values down to 1 or so in my MAPs and I have been updating the Primary and secondary VE tables as I go.

Ok, perfect tune, this baby is rock solid! Right on! Perfect VE table(s).

Now, in my mind, I'm telling myself that I now should take the perfectly tuned VE tables and copy them over to my "original" tune, flash that tune back in and then plug the MAF back in.

Is that the goal of this exercise? Get the VE table(s) tuned to my particular engine parameters and then use the MAF to compensate and adjust for the temperature/climate variances of the changing seasons.

OR

Is it to always be SD and constantly tune as the seasons change? Personally, this seems to be a lot of work when it can be done by the PCM & MAF.

E
    2014 Corvette Convertible, Torch Red, A6, Z51, 3LT, NPP Exhaust

E,

Immediately after the VE table is dialed in, reenable the MAF sensor and auto tune the MAF table (it may well be very close already);

I run around in OLSD most of the time (So. Cal. weather doesn't seem to effect my tune), and sometimes CLSD.

I have made a token attempt at tuning the MAF table, but I haven't spent alot of time on it...
    it works just like Auto VE Tuning, except the map is now 1 col (say RPM 0..8000) x 85 rows (MAFFREQ 1500..12000).

My goal is to eventually run COS3 or COS5 (which are available only for 2001+).

J

Ok, that seems reasonable. If the MAF is too complicated for you to tune in, I'm sure I'm a dead duck. I drive in the winter and it's known to get in the teens and I've even gone to Ohio with snow and ice conditions. Would that cause a problem with the SD tune as I'm going to be getting data in Florida and it'll be in the 80 and 90s most of the time?

I don't experience enough of a weather change to know how resistant to weather change OLSD is.

Down in new Zealand it is fair to say that we have a reasonable difference between summer and winter. To qualify that I have logged intake temps (IAT) ranging from 1*C (34*F) to 40*C (104*F).

I use IAT as an example because it directly relates IMO to ambient temp, and also it leads into my suggestion/recommendation.

I have been using the V3 (and now V5) EFILive Custom OS for some time, actually the day it was released . I have found that using the A0014 table to apply a multiplier to the VE table keeps my BENS very good through these vast differences in IAT.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Holy CHIT! Everything worked! Wideband gave me data, SD mode seems to be in place BUT, DAMN THING WON'T IDLE! I hate the work-around when I come to a traffic signal. Slip into neutral, brake left footed, hold idle up with right. Guesses on how to get it to idle? Normal idle is 850 and it works well at that number. I just die when I come to a stop.

Log RAFIG airflow from cold start to full operating temp and then apply the correction to the Desired Airflow table. This will help with surging and hanging idle on coast to stop. Well, it is one of the first things to check anyway
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

I'm not surging or hanging on the idle. The darn thing just flat goes down in rpm and dies. I had the surge and all of that nonsense cured to a rock solid idle at 850.

RAFIG is selected. I'll do some logging and see what shows.
    Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; July 12th, 2006 at 11:12 AM.

Does it die while stationary, or on coast down, or after slight throttle application? It might be related to the Throttle Cracker being decayed too quickly?
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast