Thread: Looking for COS and starter tune for Gen1, '411, SD, cable throttle

Default Looking for COS and starter tune for Gen1, '411, SD, cable throttle

My immediate need is for a COS and starter tune but I have some other questions as well. I have downloaded V8 of EFILive and I gather it is required to purchase one of the adapters to make use of it, is this correct? Is the software encoded in some way that prevents the use of a different adapter such as an OBDlink or AllPro? I'm assuming that must be the case but would like confirmation.

Next, I've heard that a 2bar version of the '411 OS is available free with the download. Is this correct?

I've also heard that the OS has blank tuning tables. Is there any sort of a default available to load? Ideally I'd be looking for the following:
    5.7L
    7500 redline
    Speed Density only
    4.4 gm/s injectors
    2bar MAP

Not looking for something that will be perfect, but being able to start and drive would be tremendous as a starting point. I've been pretty deeply into the '01 Camaro and Silverado tunes using TunerPro.

Thanks for any help,
    Jim

Lifetime Member

Hi Jim, welcome!

To use the EFILive software and .ctz tune file format, you can only flash the tune via a FlashScan or AutoCal device. This is a tuning suite, hardware and software package, that must be used together so yes, you will need to purchase the FlashScan tool with a GM tuning license. It will come with 2 VIN licenses which lets you tune 2 PCM/ECMs. (The AutoCal is for tuners sending tunes to customers and cannot be used to create your own tunes.)

Not sure if there are starter tunes readily available for your combo. Read the instructions on the COS file, the COS is just the OS modifications. Once you have applied the COS, flashed a stock calibration in, and read it out, then you have your new, COS base file. Now change your injectors and MAP sensor values and you can cal-flash those changes in.

I'm guessing saying Gen I you're talking about a SBC not LS. Look at the 01 or 02 Express Van for a base OS, they have the 350 Vortec/5.7 SBC and use the LS1B/0411 PCM. I'd use the 02 file as you could run COS5. Changing the Injectors and MAP sensor are straightforward, really would be looking at any cam changes or things that would adjust spark or airflow.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks Erik that sounds pretty good. I put Gen 1 because I'm running that firing order. It's actually a 350cid Buick 340 but a very similar engine in most regards. It has been fitted with the 24T tone wheel, cam sensor, MAP, TPS, O2, knock sensors, COP etc. The ECM has been wired according to the '01 F body pinout with the coil and injector wire swap for the early firing order, and it does start and run. With a change in the bank assignments I would think it could run an LS OS and tune. MAP is a standard GM 2 bar #16235939. I am familiar with changing injector flow rate in TunerPro but the MAP sensor has no provision for selecting 2bar, hence the need for the COS.

So if I understand you correctly:
    I would first purchase the FlashScan tool with a GM tuning license, then
    Find and install the OS for the '02 Express van. Is that included with the FlashScan tool or available somewhere on this site?
    Find and apply COS5. Does that come with the FlashScan and where do I find it?
    Find and flash the '02 Express calibration. Once again, where do I find that?

And I hate to belabor the obvious but the COS5 does let me select a 2bar MAP. correct? (I also need to run COP)

And I really should ask this last question: Did the F body use the same pinout as the Express van? I've noticed a few relevant differences between the Silverado and the F body that I had to take into account in wiring the car, as I sourced the ECU's from Silverados but the buddy who was helping advised me to use the Camaro diagram. Maybe the safest would be to obtain the Express pinout. Could you direct me to that?

I greatly appreciate the help,
    Jim

Lifetime Member

Cool project and swap Jim!

I don't believe the firing order is really relevant for anything other than bank to bank O2 trimming (you may need to dig into it more). If you have it running now and have no reason to change it, I wouldn't mess with it.

To change to a 2Bar MAP, you need to take the different scaler and offset values for your particular sensor and enter them into the respective fields (C6301, C6302) whether it's a COS or regular GM OS. If you don't upgrade to a COS, you halve the resolution of the VE (and spark) tables. Going to a COS adds the Boost VE table to let you dial fuel in from 105kPa to 285kPa and a boost timing table to retard timing during boost.

Since you have it running on a F-body file and are using a 24x/1x crank/cam reluctor setup, don't switch to an Express Van calibration. (The benefit of the Express Van OS is that it's the latest 350 SBC file that uses a low resolution crank sensor and COP. Your engine is setup for a LS configuration, so use the LS configuration and keep it F-Body so no pinout changes.)

The Tune File Repo is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk...s4SRJ9NGa?dl=0 There are 02 Express Van and Camaro/F-Body files in there you could use as a base file.

Yes, purchase the FlashScan V2 (V3 is going to be released in the next few months FYI) with the GM Tuning Option. Download V7.5 and V8 software suites from the forum here (you can do this now and see the COS5 OS file when you install V7.5 under Documents\V7.5\EFILive\Bins\Custom OS).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks Erik, sounds like a good game plan.

I attempted to do more or less what you suggest but I entered MAP values from 30 to 170 in the tables and suspect that could be where it all went wrong. Next thing I knew, all of my files had the new numbers and none of them were working right. I had tried to retain untouched original tuning files but, you know, a brain fart here, a mis-stroke there. Seems like a good point to start fresh, and with so many things new from the retrofit It'd be a comfort to load something that had been pretty much proven to work, even if it needs some tweaking.

With the present tune I somehow seem to be off on the fuel delivery by a factor of almost 10x (lean) when using conventional VE values and haven't been able to find the source of the problem. Knowing the fueling formula would help maybe but I've not been able to find that. And like anyone with time invested it's a hurdle to toss it out and start over. But as it seems that's what has to be done I don't see a whole lot of choice.

I had not downloaded v7.5 before downloading v8 so I'll go back and do that first, then look at the files you suggested, then order the adapter. Hopefully by day's end or tomorrow at the latest. Maybe get this show on the road. Thanks very much for the help, I'm in your debt.

Jim