Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: noob questions about tuning

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I have no speed sensor so the GM ECU has no way of knowing the vehicle is in motion. I'm wondering if I actually need one?
    Yes, you do need one.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into options for adding one. For now though it does seem to have adequate power without a speed sensor and no torque management. I will likely still add a speed sensor in the near future though.

I have decided I should focus on why the engine idles so lean and runs lean at cruise according to the wideband. I shouldn't be trying to tune the engine if I have a mechanical problem or vacuum leak etc...
    What I tried today was checking for any leak in vacuum. I tried propane around all the places there was something going into the intake. Both ends or anything entering the intake. I never noticed even a slight change in idle. So I decided I better verify the propane method because I had never done a vacuum leak test using propane before but I have used brake cleaner. I then sprayed brake cleaner around the same places and never noticed any change in idle. I don't think I have a vacuum leak.

So I decided I could try changing a tune parameter and add more fuel to see if that helps. I was poking around in the tune last night and made some changes in case I didn't find a vacuum leak. First I put B3609 (PE Delay Counter) to all zeros. I modified B3613 (PE MAP Threshold) from 55 to 6 and I modified B3607 (Open Loop Lean Limit) from 1 to 10.

I did a cal flash this morning and the engine would not idle at all. I reverted B3613 back to 55 and changed B3607 from 10 to 2. The engine idles great now and the AFR now reads around 13 at idle. I'm going to be taking it for a cruise soon and will report back after it has had a few miles on it with this tune.
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

The Jeep is definitely running better at idle since the change. It idles around 13-13.5 AFR at warm idle. A tad rich but I'm okay with that for now. But at warm cruise it's still hovering around 17. If I go WOT it gets to around 15 AFR. I can probably live with that for a bit.

What took a bit to sink is though is my passenger side O2 isn't working so I'm stuck in open loop. It is pretty drivable in open loop though. It's better than my old sbc 5.7 first gen powered CJ7 with a carburetor. My next plan is to swap in the O2 that I removed from the drivers side and see what happens when it gets installed in the passenger side.
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

Help me please?

I ended up removing one of my exhaust pipes after I tried removing the O2 sensor from the passenger side exhaust pipe. I ended up galling the threads in the bung. I suppose I could have chased the threads but I opted to remove the exhaust pipe and replace the bung and add a second bung on the pipe for the wideband.

I also put in two new stock NB O2 sensors one on each side.

I took it for a test drive. In open loop my AFR is pretty good. At about 2200 RPM it hovers around 14-14.5. That seems pretty good to me.

My problem starts when it transitions to closed loop. Now that I have two working NBs and a working WB I can see what happens when it gets to closed loop. The engine is pretty much not drivable once it transitions into closed loop. It loses most of it's power and I watched the AFR go from around 14 to 10 very quickly. At 10 the vehicle has very little power.

So my question I am hoping someone will answer is how do I reduce fuel in closed loop? Is this coming from the VE table? The vehicle is barely drivable once it gets to closed loop so getting a log seems like a daunting task...

Edit:
    Also how do I edit the calc.pids.txt file to represent my AEM WB in analog configuration?
    Last edited by jeeper; June 5th, 2020 at 08:32 AM.
    2002 Duramax

I have tried to understand creating custom analog PIDs. I don't think I do understand it but I did try. Can someone confirm if this will work?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2002 Duramax

I found this one in another thread. Will this one work with my AEM?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2002 Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12