Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: struggling newbie needs direction

Default struggling newbie needs direction

I've been struggling with trying to tune my LS1b for about a week on and off.

I'm trying to follow the Calc.VET tutorial using the Calc.VET summary notes.

I downloaded several calc.vet.txt files and a couple pid files. I think I finally have the correct calc_pids.txt for my AEM 30-0334 which I am using in analog mode for the LS1b. (I will be using it in CAN mode on my next project.)

What I can't seem to figure out is why I can't find the correct pids as shown in the attached picture.

I have attached pics of my available pids and the ones I am unable to locate anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_pid_selection_window.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	23329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CALCVET_missing_these.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	23330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	available pids.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	23331  
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

Can you attach a copy of your calcpids.txt file? What is the folder that it's in?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My calc_pids.txt is attached.

It is in C:\Users\user\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

I found it on another forum and it looks like it does have the correct info for my wideband.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2002 Duramax
    project Jeep Wrangler to CJ conversion with a LS engine and 6L80e transmission underway

Ok maybe I get it now? I combined the one from the tutorial and the one for my wideband found elsewhere. Will this new one work if I rename it and put in in the configuration directory?

edit: it errors out when I try to open scan tool
    Last edited by jeeper; June 6th, 2020 at 12:32 PM.
    2002 Duramax

It appears the dynamic air temp portion is erring out. I have commented line 60 and 61 out but then when it gets to line 100 it errs again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calc_pids_combined_error.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	23334  
    2002 Duramax

So I started over and deleted all the calc_pids,txt files I had been accumulating. I now have one that doesn't error out. I'll report back if it doesn't work. So far I seem to have found the missing pids but I'm struggling to get rid of the red x's.

Example:

Calculated VE, not corrected {CALC.VEN}

Expression:
    % = {SAE.MAF.gps}*{CALC.DAT.K}/{SAE.MAP.kPa}/{SAE.RPM}*3445.2/displacement()
    is NOT valid because:
    Required parameter {CALC.DAT.K}, at position 27 is not selected.

PID value cannot be determined because
    the following error would occur:
    Expression not valid: Required parameter {CALC.DAT.K}, at position 27 is not selected.

Calculated VE, not corrected {CALC.VEN}

Expression:
    g*K/kPa = {SAE.MAF.gps}*{CALC.DAT.K}/{SAE.MAP.kPa}/{SAE.RPM}*15
    is NOT valid because:

PID value cannot be determined because
    the following error would occur:
    Expression not compiled
    2002 Duramax

It looks like the two errors in your last post which are as follows:
    1. You do not have CALC.DAT selected, one of your PIDs.
    2. There is an issue with your CALC.VEN PID calculation.

To try to make things easier, I've attached my calc_pids.txt file which should have all the calculated PIDs you need, plus a few extras. I've also included my PID selection file.

Go ahead and put this calc_pids.txt file in your User Configuration folder. Put the PID selection file in Documents\EFI Live\V7.5\PIDs.

Once you do that, make sure you have all your scan tool windows closed, then reopen V7.5 scan tool and choose GB-LS1-CALCVET when you go to the PIDs selection tab and open a PID selection file.

You may see some red x's if you load this PID file without being connected to your vehicle. Make sure you connect to your vehicle and see how that goes.

calc_pids.txt
    GB-LS1-CalcVET.pid

Thank you!

I don't even have to have it connected to the V2 or ECM for it to show in the scan tool software now. No red x's.

My next problem is I am using an analog input from my AEM 30-0334 wideband, not serial. I am using analog because dr.mike (the guy who modified the AEM firmware to work CAN with EFILIVE) suggested it would be better. I made a special cable to connect to the gauge and it doesn't include a serial connection. Should I just use serial instead of analog?

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    The analog output from the 30-0334 is preferred over the serial. In either case, you would need to add the associated pins to the connector.

The serial output of the 30-0334, as shipped, is compatible with the old 30-4100. So, it is slow, and low resolution. If you send me the gauge for re-FLASH, I can upgrade the serial to be 5x faster with a full extra digit of resolution.

I would use the analog output. It has more resolution and better response times than even the upgraded serial connection. Unlike most widebands, it does not suffer from the dreaded ground voltage offset errors, due to its built-in differential compensation circuitry. Because of the, remember to connect the WB analog- pin to the scanner's ground.

The connectors and pins are available from digikey.com

connector: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...469-ND/1989458

pins: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...469-ND/1989458

I would order a few extra of each, as they are usually cheaper than the shipping costs. And, it prevents the need to hack up a perfectly good connector/harness that comes with the WB
    I did order extra and could even make a new cable just for serial but if the analog has more resolution it sounds like it may give better results so I'd rather try that first.

Looking at the files you provided you are using slots that my AEM was using and I am not really sure how to properly assign the "CLC-00-xxx" placeholders. Is there a link that describes what those are and how to assign them so as not to interfere with those already existing in the file you posted?
    Last edited by jeeper; June 7th, 2020 at 12:10 AM.
    2002 Duramax

I have not used an AEM wideband before, I've always used an LC2 communicating via serial. I don't post a lot on forums, but I've seen dr.mike on a couple other forums and he seems to have a pretty good understanding of tuning EFI. I would go with his recommendation for using the analog output of your AEM.

This should be a pretty easy thing to do once you figure out how to add or modify the wideband PIDs in the calc_pids.txt file, it sounds like the hang up is assigning numbers to the PIDs. You can have just about as many PIDs as you like in this text file, so I would only recommend deleting PIDs if they are obsolete. I should have done that with the CALC.VE PIDs so I (or now you) don't use the wrong PID when trying to do CALC.VET tuning, I guess it's easy to hoard when storage is essentially free!

If you haven't done so, head here: https://www.efilive.com/documentation and download the V7.5 scan tool manual. Open it up and go to page 90, your PID identifier numbers can be 000-899. So if you want to add or change PID identifiers, pick a number between 000 and 899 and use it. If you want to try grouping your PIDs together, maybe pick 500 or 600 and start from there, where your PIDs are 500, 501, 502, etc. That will help you troubleshoot any issues that may come up. Each calculated PID is listed twice in the text file, so you will want to see each identifier twice, once for the calculation of the PID, and once for the units and description.

Give that a try, do some experimenting, and if you get hung up let me know where you got stuck.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure yet if this is going to work but here is my calc_pids.txt and my pid file.

Now I have to go try and make a log file.
    2002 Duramax

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast