Thread: Help! E38 ECM, 6.2 Escalade, NEW Complete Motor, Transmission, consistently LEAN

Default Help! E38 ECM, 6.2 Escalade, NEW Complete Motor, Transmission, consistently LEAN

Hi everyone. Not new to EFI Live per say, but new to the gas tuning portion.
    I have and V2 Unit, with appropriate licenses for my 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.2L with 6L80E Luxury editon.

Bought the Vehicle in Febuary. 90 miles in, upper valve train noise, and issues with transmission.
    Had several codes for Lean Condition, Several Transission Codes, Brake Switch, Stabilitrac, etc.

First we replaced (3) Brake Switches, MAF, Spark Plugs, Coils, Plug Wires, as well as dropped all fluids. No avail to it keep throwing lean codes as well as transmission codes.
    Fuel trims were constantly 17 and 13 respectavly.

GMC Dealership stated motor was shot, and transmission grenaded on them during test drive.

Swung for a GM 6.2 Long Block, as well as new GM 6L80E.

Upon all that work being done, fuel trims went right back to 17 and 13, transmission and brake codes again.

Replaced everything listed below:
    Injectors
    Intake Plenum with PCV Valve, MAP Sensor, Valve cover with PCV Valve, all vacuum hoses.
    (3) GM MAF's
    Water pump
    Alternator

All electrical connectors have been gone through, and looking for broken pins or corrosion. Nothing.

I could be forgetting replaced parts, but Ive been 1k dimed to death every week since for this truck...

Figured out that the transmission issues were because it was missing a fuse. We have no idea how long that fuse was missing, and repair shops all state that they never pulled it, nor got that far in the diag before we replaced everything. The transmission was programmed by GM with that fuse missing??? Hold questions, but I do want to here them.

Truck drives fine, and all transmission codes have gone away.

While not throwing a lean code yet, scanner states LT fuel trims are 15 and 13 respectfully and short terms fluctuate +/-3%.

No vacuum leaks, everything related has been fixed.

Pulled out the EFI Live Scanner to get an initial read to see if someone had tried to tune this thing prior to my ownership for I bought it used.

Have no file to compare it too.

TPS says it is at 20% but the ECM wants 9%, TPS Voltage is 0.98 V, I read good stock value should be 0.5~0.65 respectfully. Mine never comes down below .98.

I could never find the PID for Idle Switch and if the ECM in fact is seeing idle.

I logged several base things that one would want to possibly look at.

Only stock parts relative to the motor are in fact the Throttle Body. It has 165K miles on it.

Below is all the information I think anyone will need.

Please help, I am 35K into this truck... Disgusting I know. I traded my 05 DirtyMax, with 150K miles, owed nothing, and have put a little over 20K in hard cash into it, past the point of getting out of it, im in it to drive out of it for now. My biggest concern is with it adding that much fuel and the CEL gets thrown around 18~20% trims, that I could lose this motor too.

UPDATE: Forgot to add this to the original post, Truck came with a an AFE Cold Air Intake, as well as a CatBack exhaust.
    I did go to the junk yard, and purchased the stock airbox and air intake tube, and tried to see if it was the CAI causing some of the issue. That netted me very little change for better trims. I the diesel world, when we did CAI, we had to rescale the MAF to accommodate for more air. Is the same logic apply in this case?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by raceghost; June 16th, 2020 at 10:24 AM.

Lifetime Member

I checked SPS, your file matches the CVNs and has the latest updates from GM. I grabbed the other 07 Escalade with the same OS, it doesn't have the latest updates but it seems only 1 DTC is different, and 1 row of OL fueling.

Make sure you clear the LTFTs with V7.5, see if they go right back.

As a sanity check, add 5% to your VVE and MAF curve, see if the LTFTs change (or target the load/rpm range where you see it being lean with LTFT).

Do you have a Wideband O2 installed to see if the fueling is actually as lean as the LTFTs say? If not, you'll need one to tune the lean portion out properly.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I checked SPS, your file matches the CVNs and has the latest updates from GM. I grabbed the other 07 Escalade with the same OS, it doesn't have the latest updates but it seems only 1 DTC is different, and 1 row of OL fueling.

Make sure you clear the LTFTs with V7.5, see if they go right back.
    Ok, thank you.

Yes, LTFTS go right back to where they are.

As a sanity check, add 5% to your VVE and MAF curve, see if the LTFTs change (or target the load/rpm range where you see it being lean with LTFT).
    I'm assuming I just highlight all the fields and then do the increment globally as +5%?

Do you have a Wideband O2 installed to see if the fueling is actually as lean as the LTFTs say? If not, you'll need one to tune the lean portion out properly.
    No, I do not have one. I do have a friend who tunes professionally, and was thinking maybe it just needs a tune.

ooops, I forgot something, and will add this to the original post.

Truck came with a an AFE Cold Air Intake, as well as a CatBack exhaust.
    I did go to the junk yard, and purchased the stock airbox and air intake tube, and tried to see if it was the CAI causing some of the issue. That netted me very little change for better trims. I the diesel world, when we did CAI, we had to rescale the MAF to accommodate for more air. Is the same logic apply in this case?

Thanks in advance,

This will be my second attempt at a reply, since my other one has not been approved in two days.

I am assuming I just highlight the cells for the MAF and increase by 5 percent?

Forgive me, but can you give me kind of a set of instructions on adjusting the maf?

Thanks in advance,

Lifetime Member

There are MAF and VVE tuning guides on the forum and in the software as well. Gas tuning is a little different than diesel, the big difference is around fueling as there's a much narrower range that's acceptable compared to a diesel.

Yes, that is what I was saying, but honestly if you're asking this question, I'd suggest finding a tuner willing to help you either remotely or locally. I'm happy to help provide general guidance here, but updating the MAF and VVE are important parts of a quality tune to ensure the fueling is correct. Your options are to learn to tune the E38 or you can find a quality tuner who's able to work with you. It sounds like you've already spent a lot of time and money on this issue, so I want you to be able to solve the issue instead of trying a few things, and maybe ending up with another blown engine in the process.

You need Wideband O2 to ensure you're heading in the right direction, LTFT/STFTs are an estimate and not accurate enough when tuning. The $200 for a WBO2 one will be worth it when you know exactly what the AFR coming out of your engine is. I like the AEM X-Series OBDII 30-0334 as it's easy to setup and integrate with EFILive, there are multiple other brands out there as well.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; June 18th, 2020 at 12:49 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Ok, let me back up. I have done tuning on Evo's and STI's. All Force Fed. I have tuned my 05 Duramax. To calibrate the Maf, you just highlighted the cells, and then did the add of 10% or what ever percentage logs said you were off. I guess I was just asking for a step by step since this is my first NA Gas Chevy, and knowing the logic if you will on rom mods. I assume I am going to highlight the cells in the idle range(what is that range?) and increase them buy what ever percentage I am off. SO if my Escalade is calling for +15 fuel at Idle, I would assume that I highlight the Idle range(What is that range?) and increment it up by calculated 15% of those numbers?

Forgive me, but can you give me kind of a set of instructions on adjusting the maf?
    I ask this for all tuning software seems to have different definitions or table labels that actually mean the same thing in general tuning knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't looked at your files yet.

Yes, highlight a bunch of cells in the MAF table and add 13%, see what LTFT's do (reset trims after flashing).

How many miles on the front O2 sensors. In CL do the logs show pids GM.HO2S11 and GM.HO2S21 switching faster than 4 Hz...?

Use pid GM.ETCTP for throttle position.