Thread: Tuning Guidance :help2:

Default Tuning Guidance :help2:

I have read the Tuning Basics by Mike Dorsey - great information there. But it's only a start. I want to create an economy tune for daily driving (a lower priority) and tow tune for hauling my horses. So with respect to the Timing, Duration, and Pressure tables that Mike points to,which direction do I start heading for those two types of tune?
    To be honest I don't drive the truck very much anymore (less than 5000 KM in the last year) so the "try it and see" would take an awfully long time to verify consistent improvements in economy and also why that tune is a lower priority.

I highly recomend you purchase this manual: https://www.starlitediesel.com/produ...live-training/

Thanks Lenny. I ordered it this morning.

So that was a bit of a waste. Not much in that book that isn't already in the Tuning Basics. Good guidance for adding more horsepower but nothing about towing or economy.
    So still looking for some guidance on where to focus attention for a towing tune. I assume the RPM range we care about is mid-range and bottom end so 1000-2500. But what do folks do with timing to increase torque?

For a tow tune, you'll want a small increase in power across most of the RPM range. There's no magic formula, you'll have to play around a bit and find what works for you. You haven't mentioned what truck you're working with, but if you have a VGT turbo, you can close the vanes at 0 MM3 to use the turbo for exhaust braking.

For an economy tune, you'll want to increase torque at lower RPMs. It seems counter intuitive, but you'll want to add a little fuel to the mid range. Also, if you tune the transmission to shift earlier, that will save fuel. An engine simply uses more fuel at higher RPMs.

As far as timing goes, my strategy is to set my pulsewidth where I want it, then use a timing calculator. That's worked very well for me. Timing isn't really where torque is made or broken in diesel engines. That said, it is important to set it correctly. The calculators take care of that.

Thanks, that's very helpful