Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd tuning question 4 cyl

Default Odd tuning question 4 cyl

Can the 5.9 computers be programmed to run a 4 cylinder engine?

I have an ISB170 3.9 which uses the same injectors, rail pressure sensor, fca, etc. as the dodge/cummins 5.9. However it uses and industrial (J1939) protocol which no one programs. If I re-pinned the harness to connect to the dodge/cummins computer does the EFIlive have the capability to time the 4 cylinders appropriately? I know the industrial 3.9 and 5.9 use the same computer just different programs.

EFILive supports the HD ECM's (eg the J1939 protocol).
    However there is many ECM types in the HD world (even though they might look the same), do you have an ECM or just looking for something suitable?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. All the forums I have read on this motor no one can program it other than minor changes (some inputs on/off, max rpm, etc.) How would I going about seeing what can be programmed with EFIlive (I attached picture of computer nameplate) ?
    No, I do not have a dodge/cummins ECM, I was just looking to go to it if it would work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	computer.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	847.1 KB 
ID:	23458

Is that the name plate from the actual ECM you will be dealing with? I have a feeling the ECM used on earlier 4cyl motors was the CM800, we don't support that one.
    But a simple answer is you really need to start with an ECM and calibration that was made for that engine, we certainly don't have enough parameters in the software to change from 6 to 4 cyl etc.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That is the nameplate on the existing 4 cyl computer. In Cummins quick serve it does have "CM800" listed with the information for my engine serial #. So it sounds like there is no way to program this engine. Can't program a CM800 and can't program from 6 to 4 cyl using a different ECM.

Unfortunately it looks like that is the case, that is one of the few Cummins ECM's we don't support I'm afraid.

Thanks for replying. Is the reason for not supporting it demand or something to do with the ECM?

Demand, we've had tuning for HD Cummins for maybe 2 to 3 years, yours is the first request for the CM800.

From visiting other forums (particularly 4btswaps) there are quite a few people looking for them and maybe a lot more that are looking but keep on reading that there is nothing so they don't ask/pursue further.

In my experience if 20 people on a forum want something only 2 will actually buy it.
    I looked at the usual USA based wrecking yards we get Cummins ECM's from and these CM800's are non existent, they all seem to come from Europe or China.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast