Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: using EFILive like HPTuners

You're making headway, keep it up. If it's your first time working with EFI it's a steep learning curve, keep working at it!

Your log has very few PIDs, all of them except your long term fuel trim have data which is a step in the right direction. Can you post your most recent tune file? Your tune acts like an input, and a log acts like an output. Looking at your input and output helps determine what needs to change or stay the same with your input.

Your log is extremely short, it looks like you turned your car on, gave it some gas, and got a 46 second log. Good start, generally when you log you want to try getting a lot of data, 20+ minutes if possible. Since you're still getting the hang of things, these short logs to verify your PIDs are correct are good. Try adding some more PIDs and getting another log, where you see data for each PID after stopping and saving your log. PIDs that reference short term and long term fuel trims will help, also knock retard and E38.APCYL_DMA are helpful. Because you have an E38 ECM, you can choose "E38 ECM" from the drop down menu on the PIDs tab and filter PIDs that SHOULD work with your car. Note SHOULD because each computer's operating system is different.

For the calc_pids.txt file, I'll attach mine for reference. It has A LOT more PIDs than you need, but hopefully you can look at it as a reference and see how the nomenclature works and what it looks like to make your own PIDs. Only use it for reference, you don't want extra PIDs clogging things up and adding complexity where it isn't needed.

calc_pids.txt

Need some understanding config layout/def...I'm use to something different.
    I'm guessing # is a comment
    * = ?
    % = ?
    Which language is the aimed for?
    What about a paper on writing a config file for this environment?
    LS3 Manual 6 spd E38 os:12633056
    Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers w/3" exhaust
    Texas Speed cam 229/236 .629/.615 112 LSA
    Hi-Ram intake stock injectors 90mmTB

Default E38 OLSD tune issues

Hey, I got my support answers:
    1. needed to change properties>connection> cable to V2.5
    2. I had originally had the Dakota Digital Bim connected to OBD at the pin but changed it later because I forgot a dyno tuner said DD Bim could not share can connection. I had changed the connection to be at the can connection (split connector). Thats why all the #31 errors.

I am attaching my latest tune and short log from Scan7.5 and one from V8. Still not driving it because the fans aren't working (relays wired wrong by a dip...I've had to rewire this harness so many times) and the engine doesn't sound right(like timing and fuel are off. I used Swingtan's guide for OLSD tune and hope I did not miss something. Hope you can see something.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I got busy getting my supercharger buttoned up. My wife and I are leaving with the car tomorrow for a long weekend trip. I had a chance to review your tune really quick.

Most of my time spent tuning is with the LS1B controller, but I'm starting to get into the E38. Do you have a wideband oxygen sensor? If so, is that something that you are able to plug into your Flashscan and include in your log? I flipped through some of your idle airflow tables and they look okay, timing seems okay as well for the portion of the log where it is idling with no pedal input. I referenced this thread with regards to idle airflow: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...38-idle-tuning

Also, can you log SAE.FUELSYS? This will tell us if it's running in open loop or closed loop, just a double check.

Engines run properly when air, fuel, and spark are set properly. If you have a wideband, log that so we can see how your fueling looks. Commanded AFR is good, but it only tells us the input and not the output.

Have a read thru this to gain some insight: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...in-single-log)

Concentrate on the concepts.

The calc_pids.txt file is it's own language... note the CLC-00-xxx lables match the pid name to the definition of it...

the 0.5 and 1.5 are the default display range on the scantool, the .4 is the precision of the displayed value on the scantool, factor is its units.

Code:
    *CLC-00-110
    factor        0.5      1.5       .4  "{GM.EQIVRATIO}*{EXT.WO2LAM1}"

Code:
    CALC.WO2BEN       F110   CLC-00-110   factor           Tuning           "BEN from WB"

Remind us which wideband and how is it connected...?

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripebob View Post
    I got busy getting my supercharger buttoned up. My wife and I are leaving with the car tomorrow for a long weekend trip. I had a chance to review your tune really quick.

Most of my time spent tuning is with the LS1B controller, but I'm starting to get into the E38. Do you have a wideband oxygen sensor? If so, is that something that you are able to plug into your Flashscan and include in your log? I flipped through some of your idle airflow tables and they look okay, timing seems okay as well for the portion of the log where it is idling with no pedal input. I referenced this thread with regards to idle airflow: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...38-idle-tuning

Also, can you log SAE.FUELSYS? This will tell us if it's running in open loop or closed loop, just a double check.

Engines run properly when air, fuel, and spark are set properly. If you have a wideband, log that so we can see how your fueling looks. Commanded AFR is good, but it only tells us the input and not the output.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try

Remind us which wideband and how is it connected...?
    I have the Innovate DLG-1/LC-2 wideband setup and working. Just don't have it connected to Flashscan. I have been trying to find a thread about connecting to Flashscan without a lot of success.
    Thanks for the calc_pid explanation. I will have to wait ot mess that up when I am more comfortable with scan/tune.

You need a null modem adapter, then plug it into the serial input of your Flaahscan. Log the LC1 external wideband PIDs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripebob View Post
    You need a null modem adapter, then plug it into the serial input of your Flaahscan. Log the LC1 external wideband PIDs.
    Where do I get null modem adapter? Does it plug into the 5v or 12v...guess I need to get one then its obvious.

Amazon or any local electronics store should have them. You can see the one I use in the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/female-slimli...tronics&sr=1-3

I misspoke earlier, when you do plug in your serial output of your LC2 to your Flashscan, connect them with the null modem adapter. Then choose the following PIDs:

- EXT.WO2AFR1
    - EXT.WO2EQR1
    - EXT.WO2LAM1

This will get you measured AFR, EQ ratio, and lambda from your wideband in your log.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast